Can't read sensor data from GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by MarekXcz, Jan 20, 2014.

1. MarekXcz

MarekXcz Geek Trainee

Hi,

I have two different rigs both with two GPUs - one of them is always nVidia (display card) and the other is from ATI (mining card - no display connected). Other than that, the rigs are completely different, however on both of them I can't read sensor data for the unconnected card (core clock, memory clock, core temp, fan speed, fan rpm). So I guess the problem is not in the card, but it is more systematic - since both rigs have the same symptomps.

Other than this the ATI cards work like a charm - mining at great hashrates, the autofan is working fine. I can read the other sensor data - like VRM temperatures, voltages, etc. Just not the core temperature - which I really want to though :) All drivers were installed - for both cards and motherboards. The problem shouldnt be in motherboards - both of them are new and top class. The sensor data for nVidia cards are showing ok.

The cards are:
    rig 1:
    • GeForce 570 GTX
    • HD 7970
    rig 2:
    • some old crappy GeForce 6xxx
    • R9 280X
    Any ideas how to read the temperature and clocks?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

3. MarekXcz

MarekXcz Geek Trainee

Not this one in particular, but I have tried GPU-Z - I see the clocks, fan speed and core temperature as zeros - other sensor readings show fine. However for example when I tried to use the GPU monitor widget for Win 7, the card wasn't even listed there in the settings. Well I can try this one too, but I am not very optimistic. Thx for the tip though.

4. MarekXcz

MarekXcz Geek Trainee

Ok, so the hwmonitor doesn't even list the second card in devices. It acts like it is not even there. The GPU-Z at least sees half of the sensor data :/ any other tips?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014