card win98 /dos6.22 booting

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Dwarfer, Mar 15, 2007.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Well you're probably right and I am probably too drunk... lol.

I wasn't sure if showing the hidden files would solve it or not. Hmm, I haven't used DOS / Windows 9x for a long, long time. I've almost forgotten everything about it...

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

me too, although my stupid memory keeps telling me stuff that it remembers[ot]i HATE my bloody memory, LOL[/ot]

Edit: started looking at it again but kiso is set to my knackered CD

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

i tried to copy the files, and "sys" the drive they were both useless, it has to be a problem with locating the MBR /boot sector with cards.

i found an article on google about booting from cards, ill give it a goosey
    WeetHet - Boot from USB Flash drive

btw: i have a win98 bootable cd.. hmm wait, ill try accomplishing my dream doin it this way, hmm is it possible.. dunno why i didnt fink of doin that already... ill give it a go

EDIT: This is quite interesting, in this article is says
    i assume its talking about sys.com and format /s

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

how did you know it is "unknown", did you change from the current fixed disk ?

BTW: if you did (it would be a good idea to try booting with your HDD disconnected to avoid any confusion) then boot off the floppy and run fdisk, what do you see ?

5. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

fdisk picks up the 2GB card sucessfully and it is able to read in dos after a FAT16 format, in fdisk it says "system unknown" where it should say "system FAT"

i saw an interesting thing here: Microsoft fdisk command page "fdisk /mbr" ill try that

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

good, disconect your HDD(s) & boot the first DOS floppy & run fdisk & delete the "unknown" partition and use fdisk to create a new primery active partition

BTW: fdisk was pickey about who created partitions & did flag them as unknown if it didn't create them

all fdisk /mbr does on DOS is wipe the MBR (Master Boot Record)

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

thanks for all your help

i did what you said and it still didnt work...

steps: 1. fdisk > delete unknown > create new > format /s > reset.... nothing! went to hdds winxp crap!!

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hmm i found a program that does it for you FlashBoot

gona try it now

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

of course it didn't work, you must reboot doing anything in fdisk (before you format)[ot]your as bad as i was at scim reading, i only figured out about 2 years ago, that you should read everything, because when fdisk exits it tell you to reboot before returning you to the command prompt[/ot]

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

flashboot only supports Win2k or above and it doesn't support USB, check this

11. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

you underestimate me donkey lol of corse i rebooted after new partition and before format i just figgered it was too obvious to post it here

i got it to boot FINALLY!!! that flashboot works, tested me games and they work just need a sound driver now :D

thanks for all ur helpings

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it's not too obvious, i've only being actually reading the screen for a couple of years, i used to skim read everything[ot]i should have learnt by now, but i still skim read[/ot]what OS did you get booted on the sd card? DOS 622?

what sound board do you have ?
    do your programs run v v fast ?

glad you got it working

13. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

just dos for now coz win98 wont install on the card.

me soundcard is "realtek ac'97" ive still got to find the dos drivers if they exist, and a usb mouse driver. always somet lol

and... no they dont run fast what so ever, i have a game called duke nukem 3D and it took about a minute to load compared to 5 seconds HDD, but im not complaining :D:chk:

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

if it's onboard what's your mobo
    what make & model

well if you run them on HDD,[ot]faster computer dont run old DOS games well, i played a fighting game a few years ago and as soon as i started the game, i'd already got my ass kicked[/ot]BTW: there was program called SLO-MO[ot]but i don't know where to find it[/ot]BTW:thats why i was asking

15. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe

non-microsoft mouse, its one of those baby transparent ones, but does it matter?

im on a savings spree, me card is cool enuf, and again im not complaining :D (stupid bloody crappy pieces of.. ahem!)

yeah!!!! dam, i saw this the other day but didnt take much sense of it, looked a bit complicated. im thinking of using virtual PC 2007 i heard its got better support for emulating stuff, like games

i play a game called Hell Cab http://cdaccess.com/gifs/shared/front/large/hellcab.gif its a simulation game in itself, uses a program called 'projector' and it runs very fast, say 20x faster, its playable, but some things run so fast u canny see em lol :D oh and theres this game within it that you cant complete coz of the newer pcs simulating the game

[ot]i have a game called blood, its a very old 3D FPS game (say 1995) http://horror.citycat.ru/games/blood1.jpg its one of the games i wish to play, the startup is pretty slow (say 0.5 - 1 min) on the card, but the frames/p.s. are absulootly ace, it will let you choose resolutions upto 1280x1024, even on 1024x768 the fps on my older pcs were stupid (say 5fps) but on me new puter its like 30+fps its WKD same with 'Shadow Warrior' :chk: [/ot]

16. megamaced

The FreeDOS project has up to date drivers for DOS. I know for a fact that they have drivers for the AC'97 sound card.

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

great im downloading the (150MB!!!!) freedos operating system now, it says it will overwrite the current O/S. i just hope it will let me install it on me card

i canny find the sound drivers on freedos.com could you please locate it for me? sorry im a bit fik when finding stuff

18. megamaced

I think the drivers come bundled inside FreeDOS. It includes loads of other programs as well, hence the large size