case fan problem :<

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jase69, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

hey peeps

I managed to sort my pc out and it was because i had no standoffs :chk: my next problem is my case fans which i belive are called molex connectors theres one male and one female connector, i can fit the male one into my psu which makes the fans spin but i cant fit the female one which lights up the LED, i have no idea where the female one goes because all my psu wires are female and i only have a 4 pin slot down by my graphics card which will fit it, can i get an adapter which would change the female connector into a 3 pin fan connector and would this light up the LED.

heres a pic of the connector i have on my fan:
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e 346/viper2007/gayconnector.jpg

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I don't see the problem....

Case fans have a male and a female molex connector so that they can be inserted between things if necessary (ie all the leads from your PSU are connected up to hard drives etc)

PSU ----> FAN ----> DVD/Hard drive

both ends do not have to be connected for the fan to work! if possible, i would plug one fan into the other and then connect it straight to the power supply like this:-

PSU ----> FAN ----> FAN ----> NC (No connection / not connected)

If you can't do that, and you have to connect the FAN between the PSU and a DVD/HDD then try to put the fans on different lines, like this:-

PSU ----> FAN ----> DVD Drive
    PSU ----> FAN ----> Hard Drive

I hope that clears things up :)

3. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

Im trying to understand what you mean :confused: non of my psu wires have a male molex they are all female. I can get the male fan wire to go into the psu but dont no what to do with the female one, i dont think the fan molex connector will reach the dvd drive il go and see what i can do.

cheers

4. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

So... take the female molex that goes stright from the psu to the rom drive out and put the female fan molex into it then connect the other male fan molex to the psu? :confused: ive just tried and my fan molex wire wont reach my rom drive but i have a molex connection on my motherboard can i put it in there?

5. Impotence

ok, step by step instructions!

1. Unwrap the bundle of wire attached to each case fan so that the wires are as long as they can be
    2. connect the first fan to a molex connector coming from the power supply
    3. connect the second fan to the first fan (by plugging it into the spare molex connector on the first fan), do not worry about the second fan having a spare molex connector (you can just ignore it)
    4. if you want you can tidy the cables up by bunching them together with an elastic band

6. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

okay i just tried that and nothing :/ the fans all spin but no LED :( i have a 4 pin molex slot on my mb will it work if i put it in there?

7. Impotence

DO NOT plug molex fans into your motherboard, that molex connector on your motherboard is meant to supply extra power to the graphics card (you plug the PSU into the motherboard, although most graphics cards don't seem to need it)

If the fans spin, there where is the problem? LED's only work one way around so perhaps it was contructed the wrong way around at the factory (changing where the plugs for the fans are going / coming from is not going to change the fact that the LED is not turning on!)

8. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

:( Do you know any good sites that sell decent LED fans which dont have a molex connector

9. Impotence

i would think that if you want LED's it will have to be a Molex connector because of the extra power needed

10. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

are there fans which have a 3 pin connector and a 4 pin male connector?

11. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

I just had another go and the fan on the side of of case which looks like an 80mm fan lit up with only the male molex going into the psu and not bothering with the female but it doesnt work with the 120 mm fans

12. jase69

jase69 Geek Trainee

Iv'e fixed all my pc problems, and my new setup is up and running great, i fixed the fans by buying 2x 120 mm silentx fans which were 15 quid each :| thanx for all the help guys :D and Impotence :p