Cd-r

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Trunks, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Trunks

Trunks Guest

I heard someone says you can write a CD-R two times. I don't believe that and I also saw somewhere where you can write it only once. Is it really only once? I know CD-R's aren't multisession. What do you guys believe :confused:

2. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

The facts abour CD-R's is that it's a one shot deal. Meant for one burn at a time. Now they might have been confused with CD-RW's which are CD- Re-Writeables. They are meant to be erased, and reburnt. They dont last forever I must say. But, it is possible to buy them. They are a little more pricey, but they are a good alternative if you have a CD-MP3 player that you update your songs every week or so. But, if I must say, the ONLY cd's i recomend are the following for writebales/re-writeables.

Memeorex CD-RW's They are my top favorite
    Memorex Black burnables (My Favorite)
    PNY Burnables are also good.
    E³Works cd's are amazing as well for their nobelty CD's such as their Vinyl cd's and coloured.

Anyone wish to add to this?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You *can* write to it more than once, but only if the disc has not been finalized. Unless you've specified that you'll add more to the CD-R later on, then your recording program normally will finalize the disc. This makes it impossible to add or write over the media anymore.

4. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

yes, but every single time I dotn finalize it, I always get errors, or it never works properly... It sucks. Its not my burner, it just might be my software. Or maybe its supposed to be like that, I never really looked into it. What software do you people use?

Heres my list:

Nero burning Rom 5.X.X.X
    Disc Jugller

Thats about it. Sometimes CD-R Win.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm not really sure, I haven't used it since EZ CD Creator 3.x, so I'm not sure what's up. I've got Nero 5.x.x.x myself, so I should try it out and see if it still works.

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I've never had a problem writing to cd's using "Session-At-Once" mode, and not final...
    but I think only the cd writer can read it, and not a normal cd-rom, but not sure though!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, that's another thing I do recall as a problem with not finalizing a CD-R.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

it works with nero.
    Nero is actually a lot better than ez cd creator.
    with ez cd creator, you can only add files on a multi-session cd, but if you wanna add files already on the cd with nero, it will update (overwrite I guess) the files.
    don't ask me how it does it, but it does it !

For instance, I have a cd with my save files of nhl 2003, created with nero.
    Then I wanted to put the newer files, but instead of having to put them on the cd, nero just searched my hdd for update of files that were already on the cd, and updated them.
    I tried the updated files to make sure it had really did what I thought it did, and it worked !

Ez cd creator has a program called "udf reader", or is it universal to all burning programs ?
    Anyways, if you install it, your regular cd-rom drive will be able to read burnt cds.
    I think Windows prompts you to install it if you need it.