Certains keys works intermitently

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sophie, May 24, 2011.

1. sophie

sophie Geek Trainee

My "c" key doesn't always work, sometimes I need to press down on it hard or re-try a couple of times. Even if I take the key out and press down on the rubber cup, same problem..

The same problems happens (less frequently) with the space bar and "v" key. It may be useful to mention that a cocktail was spilled on that area a few months ago. I never had problems after I cleaned it thoroughly until now.

What should I do?

Sophie
    Dell inspiron 1547

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

You can try cleaning the keys again to see if that helps, however you may need to replace the keyboard itself. If a second cleaning does not help and the laptop is still under warranty, I would contact Dell and see if they can replace the keyboard for you. If it is not under warranty, you can see if you can order a replacement and then either replace it your self or bring it to a computer store to change it. On most Dell laptops, it is not so bad to replace a keyboard. The hardest part is usually getting the keyboard bezel off, which is the piece of plastic that sits above the keyboard and covers the hinges for the LCD (it usually just snaps off but can vary depending on the model. Then its just 2 screws to undo and the keyboard pulls out, and there is a single ribbon cable to disconnect. I would try another cleaning of the problem keys first if possible, then check with Dell if it is under warranty still. Does an external keyboard work with the laptop? If the same keys will not work with an exteranl keyboard, it may be more of a windows/software issue than a hardware.

3. Agnes

Agnes Geek Trainee

Hello, Seems like you need to change the keys and get new ones. I had the same issue a few weeks ago and i got them replaced by www.laptopkey.com
    They have great service at a reasonable price , Good luck :)

4. sophia_smith

sophia_smith Geek Trainee