Chat Rooms...Reallllly!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Egaladeist, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

I'm new to the net...in fact, I'm new to comps too...so...even though up to now I've been doing pretty good...I still need alot of help...so...I figure a good place to get help would be a chat room...right!...wrong!!!!...I spent hours over several days looking for a chat room that wasn't a friggin dating service and all I could find was an aussie teeny-bopper site that i couldn't make heads or tails of...I've come to the conclusion that real chat rooms don't exist for people over 30 who just want to talk...so I'm checking out what seems to be the next best thing...and we'll see how it goes...no offense intended...but I'd rather have that immediate talk and answer than having to post a message and wait to see if anybody even responds to it.

Hello...john, sally, susan, peter, jennifer, ralph, or karen...whoever you may be who responds to this message

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Never done the chat thing, myself. It's easier to respond in a forum setting, at least for me.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah, forums are more calm & collected, as opposed to chat rooms. In forums, you're more likely to get a reply which makes sense, where in a chat room... "A/S/L? my nam3s jonnny and im13 buti wannaa scyber witt yoooo!"

P.S. - Your screenname, Egaladeist, what exactly does it mean? I understand the "Deist" part, meaning some sort of reflection on God, but the prefix?

4. Addis

Addis The King

Chat rooms are a load of crap. Not so much IM, but chat rooms you don't know the people and a lot goes on. Not everyone wants to help.

5. Egaladeist

Anti-Trend..you're very good...you know my handle is hard for people to figure out...but you got part of it...deist:a strong or profound belief in god( a natural or supernatural being or entity that causes order in the universe ...not religion )...egalatarian:a person who believes in everyones right to fair and equal social and political equality..hope that makes sense

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It makes sense, although I'm foggier on what you're trying to say by it than its Latin meaning. :p

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Chat rooms tend to strike me as full of people that use "1337 5p34k"...basically swapping letters around with numbers. I use it only to get around filters or to mock it.

8. Egaladeist

I've given up looking for a talk chat room..I don't think they exist...I think they're geared mainly to the teeny-bopper crowd...and they do all talk...r u the 1 ...etc....when I first got on the net I thought everybody talked like that...but I'm learning

9. Egaladeist

It's not a handle really...it's what I really believe...spent four years studying virtually every known religion ( taoism, pali the original text of buddism, the zend avesta of persia, judaism, christianity, islam, etc...) and philosophy/history( plato, diodorus, confucius, epictetus, josephus, etc...) and I came to the conclusion based upon my studies that two things are quite certain...there is an enitity of profound intelligence ordering all things...and...that no man, no matter what his circumstances or condition, is slighted in any way by it....other than that...everything else is an opinion...usually based on little knowledge of the facts and the circumstances of his upbringing...needless to say I don't conform to traditional views...does that help?
    Normally I avoid discusions about these things like the plague because it's a waste of time arguing opinions. :)