Choosing between two bare bones...which one is a better value?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Tommy Sai, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Tommy Sai

Tommy Sai Geek Trainee

I have two bare bone systems in mind:

1) MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) AMD Series Motherboard
    AMD FX-6100 (6 core processor)
    4 GB ram
    Computer case with 450 Watt power supply
    Optical Drive
    This one is going for $209.99 after rebate. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7973595&CatId=332

2) Biostar H61MHV Intel H61 Motherboard
    Intel Core i3-3220 (2 core processor)
    4 GB ram
    Computer case with 500 Watt power supply
    1 TB Toshiba HDD (7200 rpm)
    This one is going for $319.99 after rebate. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7977283&CatId=333

My question is which package is better? Seeing as there is a difference of $110, will that justify going for the Fx-6100 over the i3-3220?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If those are your only two options, go with package 2.

While I think the CPU's are somewhat comparable, the FX 6100 produces more heat than the i3 chip.
    Secondly, the Intel package included power supply is not included with the case. While it's a lower-end power supply, Thermaltake does pretty well. When it comes to power supplies, nothing good comes with one included in a case. With very few exceptions, they are garbage that is unsafe to use.

Unless you're interested in overclocking, the offering of that FX-6100 package isn't that great. If you still want it, then at least pick up a decent power supply from Thermaltake, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone or Antec in the 500W range.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would say # 2 also... the i3 would be more stable..