Christmas upgrade flying around the corner..

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Willz, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

ok, well i think i may be able to do a little upgrade on my computer this christmas.

i hope i will be able to afford it all, well more of if my parents will pay for it all, as its going to be for my christmas present off my parents, i might use some of my ema money though.

i have decided that i am better off buying a AMD 64 3500+

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3500BPBOX) (CP-119-AM)

But, i am stuck on what motherboard to get, i wud prefrebly keep all this under £200, so i would want a decent motherboard thats good at overclocking for about £49, is that possible?

if you can find the 3500+ AMD 64 cheaper on a uk site, please post and let me know :)

2. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

well the Asus A8N-E FM (non ultra chipset) from my experiance with the ultra Asus boards have quite a bit of oclock features, as well as the program that automatically overclocks system to a certain extent when doing things with heavey load, i.e.(id est(that is) yeah for latin) gaming
    well the mobo is 50(pounds) and the A8N-E is 64

wait are you still using your x800 xt cause those boards are PCI-Ex

3. Willz

yea, sorry i forogt to say, i need a AGP motherboard :)

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Uh I don't know if I'd "upgrade" to an AGP motherboard Will. Kind of a waste of 50£. But if you really want a 3500 and your current one is giving you headaches I guess that's okay. Might want to wait to see what's looking good around December though. X1800's might be cheap by then:)

5. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

well as of now the 7800GTs are getting really cheap, and considering the 1800XL is only a little better than a reference GT, and most are overclocked, i think you should maybe look into those, especially with the holiday season coming up, might catch a big sale, or rebate.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah and if EVGA every gets one of those sweet free mobo deals again you'd be in the clear for sure.

7. dowzer

dowzer Geek Trainee

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah Will used Ebuyer to get his X800XT PE but I don't know if he was too pleased with the shipping time at least.

9. Willz

ebuyer took weeks!
    i cant get an x1800xl becouse i dont have pci-e, and i only have about £200 to spend on mobo and processor.

10. Willz

Anyway i need a decent motherboard and i cant seem to find a good one, it has to be AGP, i need one thats good at overclocking, and tweaking etc..

i dont want the price of the motherboard to be over £60.

11. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

12. Willz

:\, but if i get 3500+ i can overclock that further, thats why i dont want anyhting lower than 3500+

what about the motherboard though?
    i need a decent skt 939 AGP motherboard for under £60

13. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

No, it doesn't quite work like that. That doesn't necessarily mean that because getting a chip of higher PR rating, it will be able to clock further. It all comes down to luck - you need to get a good week/stepping to get a good clocker.

14. Willz

i dont understand :s

thats tells me its only luck if i get a decent motherboard :s

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Not entirely true, some chips are known to be better overclockers, and the 3500+ is one of them i believe...

16. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

The 3000+ overclocks to 2.4-2.6 GHz on stock cooling with AS5 for many people. The 3500+ wont go much more than 2.8 GHz, which can be acheived with a better HSF on a 3000+. The bottom line is get a decent mobo. I still suggest that ASRock one, even though its not the best overclocker.

17. Willz

still.
    please answer this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need a decent skt 939 AGP motherboard for under £60

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

3000+ @ 2.6GHz on stock cooling?! Highly unlikely....I think with an X800XT PE as well the 3500+ is a better choice, a 3000+ would hold it back a little bit I think...and willhub wants more performance with that Graphics Card...

19. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

20. Willz

oh that motherboard again, pci express and AGP, hmm not bad, but i live in the uk, i cant order of newegg :(
    also, in the uk we use pounds, not the euro.