Christmas upgrade flying around the corner..

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Willz, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Why thank you Ex!
    Yeah my MSI board (it's a bit older) has some pretty good overclock features on it, and they're stable boards overall, I like MSI...

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Cool man. Yeah I know they got some bad rap and I'll admit I too was telling people to look to other brands but now I try to keep things in perspective and stay neutral until I've tried them you know. Same goes for Maxtor Drives.

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

heh, thanks might just get that motherboard,, will it do everything i want it to do?

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, of course, good OC features, AGP 8x, nice onboard audio, it all checks out to me.

5. Willz

so why the cheap price?

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Probably because AGP boards are coming down, PCI-e is out and people are buying those boards. AGP boards aren't too expensive anymore.
    ABIT Boards:
    There's this ABIT board as well, and it's under £50
    ASUS Boards:
    There's this A8V and this A8V-Deluxe although this is a little more expensive and there's this A8V-MX as well, slightly cheaper.
    GIGABYTE Boards:
    There's this K8NSC

7. Willz

is that GIGABYTE motherboard better than the MSI motherboard and the other motherboards you linked to in the post above?

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm not too sure, I just searched on there for Socket939 boards with AGP8x on then, they're the one's I came up with.

9. Willz

i like that GIGABYTE motherboard better becouse its blue and colourfull so may get that but i aint sure as i want the best motherboard i can get for about £60

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Cool, the MSI is probably cheap because it's been around for quite some time now, it was one of the eariler 939 boards. Gigabyte is aways cheap yet they make very nice boards. I have only positive things to say about mine and Newegg costomers seem to agree for the most part with Gig's products. Looks like a smart choice to me:)

11. Willz

no upgrade going ot happen, might ditch this computer and buy a new computer for about £150

any decent coputers for £150 that can play all games on 600x800 res lowest settings ?

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Why are you going to completely ditch your computer?

13. Willz

becouse its annoying me..
    cant play games, cant overclock, what good is it.

might get 3000+ amd 64, cheap motherboard and x300 graphics card.

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Why not get a 3200+ Skt 939, Decent cooler and a good motherboard, I reckon you could get that for under £200

15. Willz

what are the differences between 3200+ and 3500+ is it just clock speed?
    could i easilly overclock a 3200+ to 3500+ or past 3500+ speeds with a stock cooler?

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah the 3200+ Venice Retail on OcUK is £117.44 inc VAT, that isn't bad, you could afford a new motherboard then, and may overclock a bit with the stock cooler, but a new cooler would be better for overclocking.

17. Willz

so, i am better off getting the OEM version and getting a cooler for £17, but what are the difference betwen the 3200+ and 3500+??

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Clockspeeds, the 3500+ is @ 2.2GHz and the 3200+ is @ 2.0GHz they both have 512KB L2 Cache, are Venice Cores, Skt 939

19. Willz

is there any other difference at all than clock speed, or if i overclocked a 3200+ to 2.2ghz, would it be like a genuin propor 3500+ with the same performance as a 3500+?

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm not sure but i can't see any other difference, maybe check out on www.amd.com to see if you can compare the 2 side by side