Clock speed and Dual question.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by mahmood, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mahmood

mahmood Geek Trainee

I wonder why AMD Dual Athlon 3600 is much more expensive than AMD Sempron 3200 whereas the clock speed of the Sempron is 2.0 GHz and the clock speed of Dual Athlon is 1.9 GHz?

Some ebay sellers multiply any Dual processor by 2 to get the clock speed for example for the Dual Athlon 3200, they claim 3800GHz or 1.9*2. Are they right? Can I say that a Dual is actually 2 processors and not one?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The X2 Athlons are dual-core, effectively having 2 processors in one processor packaging. Compared to Semprons, the Athlons have more L2 cache and typically use a faster HyperTransport speed.

As for 1.9+1.9=3800MHz, that's incorrect. Say you have two 5ft. men moving a couch. Would you say you have one 10ft guy moving said couch? Of course not. This applies to multi-core processors and multi-processor systems. They processors/cores aren't necessarily working on the same task, especially if the process isn't written for multi-core setups.

Jithin Kundoor likes this.
  3. Dracos

Dracos Geek

two cpu are completely different at all sempron is a general usage cpu can be supposed as the starting grid of amd, x2 cpu's have 2 cores that ara working under same clock frequency and using same core architecture, which is making the difference at all

dual core provides you no lack of performance while working an antivirus application behind your game or burning a dvd while listening to music

every user works out programmes but send them to tray bar so seems like they are not using cpu or just a bit but not at all especially antivirus and firewall uses the most at all between them

if you are an office user i suggest you using a intel dual core mainstream cpu like d930 (3ghz) or amd x2 4200 (2.2ghz) because its lower price and performance is good enough for applications like autocad, office 2007 etc.

if you are a home user and playing games i can say conroe (core 2 duo) e6600 is enough for you

4. annaspetfrog

annaspetfrog Geek Trainee

that each processor is running @ 2GHz meaning the total CPU power for your computer would be 4 GHz. my workstation at work is using an Intel Dual Core processor package with each running at 2.16 GHz for 4.32 GHz power. Oh yeah.

Of course, when you're in the field for a living, you gotta get a good computer.

5. Ef'can Irım

Ef'can Irım Geek Trainee

If that what you say was correct, amd phenom ii x6 1100t 3.3 processors would run @6x3.3ghz which equals to 19.8ghz and that'd be totally insane.
    For the pc you say, each core provides 1.08ghz for it can run both @1.08ghz(when idle or doing smooth business) and on 2.16(when loaded).
    More cores there are, lesser power usage(while idle) and lesser tempratures your cpu has. :)

If i'm wrong, correct me.