Compiling Software

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by megamaced, Aug 3, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

If i compile software and later decide I would like to uninstall it, how would I go about this?

I read somewhere that I would need to keep my initial source directory and then run

Code:
    make uninstall
    Is that correct?

Also, let's say I want to upgrade the software that I compiled, how would I go about that? Is it okay to compile over the original installation, or should I uninstall first and then install the new version?

Thanks

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

To answer your questions, it really depends on the software and how the make files are written. Usually, in fact almost always, you'd be right on both counts. That being said, there are strange cases also. Bottom line: prefer the package manager, but pay attention to where everything goes when you do build from source or install 3rd-party binaries just as you would on Windows.

3. megamaced

I would have used the package manager, but the version of LMMS in the repositories is missing some vital features that I need.

BTW, do you have any experience with scons?

I want to compile Rosegarden but I get the following error:

Code:
    megamaced@emachines3220:~/rosegarden-1.2.4$ scons configure
    scons: Reading SConscript files ...
    Checking for kde-config           :  kde-config was found as /usr/bin/kde-config
    Checking for kde version          :  3.5.2
    Checking for the qt library       :  qt was not found
    Please set QTDIR first (/usr/lib/qt3?) or try scons -h for more options
    So I type:

Code:
    megamaced@emachines3220:~/rosegarden-1.2.4$ scons qtdir=/usr/share/qt3
    scons: Reading SConscript files ...
    Checking for kde-config           :  kde-config was found as /usr/bin/kde-config
    Checking for kde version          :  3.5.2
    Checking for the qt library       :  qt is in /usr/share/qt3
    Checking for uic                  :  uic was found as /usr/share/qt3/bin/uic
    Checking for moc                  :  moc was found as /usr/share/qt3/bin/moc
    Checking for the qt includes      :  ok /usr/share/qt3/include/
    Checking for the kde includes     :  The kde includes were NOT found
    megamaced@emachines3220:~/rosegarden-1.2.4$
    Any idea where my KDE includes directory is?

4. Anti-Trend

5. zeus

zeus out of date

6. megamaced

Had to give up on Rosegarden because the compiling process was getting too messy. I actually got passed that error I posted about, but inevitably there were more errors around the corner :(

What I find bizarre is that the pre-compiled binary in the Ubuntu repositories doesn't work properly either! It loads up the splash screen and then freezes.

7. Anti-Trend

Funny, it works fine on Debian, also compiles without a hickup. :O Sorry you had problems, dude.

8. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

What I like to do is if I can't find an application as a package, is download the application and make a package myself. That way uninstalling is a breeze.

9. megamaced

If that's an invitation to make me a Rosegarden4 debian package, be my guest! :p

10. Anti-Trend

Have you tried installing it from the Etch repos? R4 works fine on my system.

11. megamaced

What's the address of the repository? So I can put it in my sources.list

12. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

This line should do it, althought it should already be in a default sources.list

Code:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

The info for the package in the debian repository is here:
    Debian -- rosegarden4

Maybe you need to run apt-get update?

Hope this helps,
    Matt

13. Anti-Trend

Beat me to it, although replace "stable" with either "testing" or "unstable" depending on which version you want. The stable, aka Sarge, version of the package is pretty old.

14. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

Yea, sarge is getting old. I'm not sure if I'll stick with debian in the future as the repositories contian rather old software and not the latest version. I had to use a backport to install firefox 1.5.

I will stop hijacking this thread now. :)

15. Anti-Trend

Well, Sarge is nice for production machines that need absolute stability and predictability. I'm running Etch though, and I'll probably stick with the "testing" branch forever unless I get a compelling reason to do otherwise.

16. megamaced

I am running Kubuntu, so that's why I don't have it :)

BTW, is it safe to install stuff from the Debian repositories using Kubuntu? I suppose they are all packaged the same aren't they?

17. Anti-Trend

Pretty close, but I'd prefer the Ubuntu mirrors wherever possible. As you can see by the sudoers thing, Ubuntu devs have some strange ideas about some things. :p

18. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

Yea, Ubuntu is strange with some things, althought it is becoming an excellent distro. I always liked the way BSD handles su - the wheel group.

19. Anti-Trend

The 'wheel' concept has been implemented in many Linux distros as well, although it is enabled by default in none that I am aware of. It is trivial to enable though.

In case anybody is wondering, the wheel group is a great idea which was vetoed from Linux by Richard Stallman for some hippie BS reasons which have nothing to do with practicality or security. I respect the man, but he's kind of an idiot. It's been used in BSD and other unices for a long time though. The idea is that only users in the wheel group can 'su'...

20. Addis

Addis The King

I have to agree with you there, I was watching a video of an australian uni lecture he was giving, and while there was a lot of stuff about the Free Software Foundation that I agreed with, he didn't seem too respectful about Linux and Torvalds or the Open Source movement.

Great man for what he does for Free software, but too much hippie and not even realism. I'll stop rambling... ;)