Complete New Tower System

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by MrMonkey, Sep 9, 2005.

1. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Geek Trainee

Hi, I've decided I need to upgrade my machine as it's falling behind the times.

I currently have:

AMD Athlon 3200+
    1GB of PC3200 RAM
    nVidia GeForce 5900 XT
    Some crappy mobo
    80GB Crappy HDD

Ok, I want to upgrade from that, I have about £450 to spend, I know it isn't much but it's all I can afford. BUT I'll be taking the RAM from this machine to my new one, but I do need RAM for the old one as my dad would like the computer, so I just need a 256MB stick of PC2100 or something as he'll only be word processing etc.

If possible I want a mobo that's nForce 4 and PCI-E compatible and an AMD 64 CPU.

Thanks in advance for any advice etc :)

I'm also located in the UK so I don't want to be ordering from overseas. Thanks again :)

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well www.overclockers.co.uk have a good current week-long deal on the AMD64 3200+ so look at that (need to get a HSF though) they do have some good mothboards on there as wel, plus look for a 6600GT or something for good graphics at not a great cost, and a good PSU, also check out this for a good hard drive

MrMonkey likes this.
  3. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Geek Trainee

Okay, but can you give me anymore specifics on the stuff I shoud get as I'm pretty useless when it comes to picking stuff. I bought something that was a downgrade once and t hought it was better :x: And the hard drive link in the link says there's nothing there or it couldn't find the item.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i just found that out as well, okay for £450 you could get...(these are from overclockers.co.uk)
    *AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM - (£99.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    *Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) - (£29.32 Including VAT at 17.5%) although i'd get another one because as good as they are, they've shot up in price since i bought mine....they've doubled!!
    *Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard - (£85.19 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    *XFX GeForce PCX6600 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail - (£88.07 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    *Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 NCQ 160GB ST3160827AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM - (£62.22 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    *AOpen DUW1608 Chameleon 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter inc. Ivory/Black/Silver Bezels - Retail - (£30.32 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    *That leaves £55.06 (from £450) for a Case...You'll need a decent PSU as well...so you may go over but these aren't the best prices you can find, there'll be more but remember if you order everythign from different places you'd probably end up paying the same because of delivery.
    *You'd need cables and I assume you will be needing new CD/DVD Drives...

5. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Geek Trainee

Also would it be easier to overclock some stuff and save money or would it be better if I just bought all stock things?

Wouldn't the bits come with cables though?? Also could you check www.cclonline.biz as I know they do a computer building thing for £30 and I'd rather not destroy everything trying to build it myself.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

they dont always come with cables, OEM products dont, they dont usually come retail packaged and they are just sealed in bags...i'll have a look on that site...
    EDIT: That site doesnt work...

7. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Geek Trainee

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

What about this
    CPU AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Motherboard Asus A8N SLI
    HDD 120GB Western Digital Caviar SE (SATA)
    Graphics Card 256MB Sparkle GeForce 6600 PCI-E
    And there are many good DVD/CD Drives, but those components should be a good start, although others may find better stuff...
    (remember with a higher specced machine you'll need a decent PSU...check out this for information on PSU's

9. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Geek Trainee

So would you say that'd be a big upgrade on my current machine?

Currently I run BF2 in 1280x960 with most settings in low and it runs pretty smooth. I was wondering if I'd get a large performance boost or would it just become more stable etc??

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

for £450 you wont get an amazing performance boost, but you'll get a better system, honestly i'd say stick with what you've got and save up some more, then do a serious upgrade,

11. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Geek Trainee

How much would I need about, would like £800 give a big performance upgrade or would I need more?? Because at the mo most of the games I play, being BF2 and DS2 and a tiny bit of CS: S, all run fine. So I could probably wait until around christmas time so I'd have some more money from then and other stuff. Or would that still be an upgrade that wouldn't be good enough :p

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

£800 would be a lot better, you'd get a much better upgrade with that...