Computer Crashes! Please Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jaredc, Sep 11, 2009.

1. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

My system keeps crashing. The symptoms are some audio clicking noises when i move the mouse, followed by general computer lagging, then pretty soon it just crashes (to a BSOD if i don't manually restart before that). I just updated my graphics card (my old one went out) and its been doing it since then it seems.

I've mostly noticed it when I play games. Doesn't matter what game really. After a certain ammount of time it will simply start to have audio distortion and then it will begin to lag and crash. And it has crashed while doing almost nothing a couple of times. :x:

I ran realtemp, and it appears my gpu is running at about 85C. While my processor gets to around 60c in games. I'm not sure but i don't believe those are temps that would make it crash.

I've updated video card drivers, chipset drivers, nvidiaphysx drivers, audio drivers (all on 64bit certified drivers).

Sometimes i can play games for hours and have nothing happen. This is so wierd. :(

Specs:
    MOBO- Asus P6T
    CPU- Intel i7 920 @ 2.66ghz stock
    Ram- 6GB Gskill DDR3 1066 RAM
    GPU- EVGA 275 GTX 896MB
    PSU- Corsair 750TX (not low on power at all)
    OS- Windows 7 64-bit

Thank you all so much for whatever help you can give me! :)

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

what memory error are you getting? Can't see any problems with your setup. Power supply unit sure isn't the problem. could well be gpu memory.

3. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

K thanks for replying!

I'm running evga precision to set my fan speed high during games. So while doing this, i'll try to push it to a BSOD to give you that information. Do you think overheating is an issue with my card?

My case is the X-discovery so it has bad airflow

4. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

K i just got done playing 2 games rather extensively. Neither crashed, everything ran fantastic. I simply used evga precision to run the card's fan at 80% during games.

So i'm HOPING this fixed it... i've thought i fixed it before and it came back. lol so we'll see what happens i'll keep you posted.

5. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

Very wierd. I am still getting hints of audio distortion. However it won't quite freeze up like before..... WTF?!?!?

What are your suggestions?

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

run prime 95 see if you have any stability issues. as for sound disable your onboard sound and try using a pci sound card if you have one available or any sound card for that matter. Also what are your north and southbridge temps?

7. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

i've run prime95, and it works perfectly. My cpu gets up to around 80c , but no problems.

I got speedfan, and i assume system is the NB temp, that reads around mid 40's-50's for games.

I'm absolutely stumped... did i get a defective gfx card?

I'll try disabling sound and playing next.

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Try running Memtest86+ overnight and see if you have any errors.

9. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

I ran memtest overnight, and recieved no errors at all.
    So memory isn't the issue.

10. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

so you've ruled out stability issues, so there's nothing wrong with cpu or ram, you ran memtest no problems. you've ruled out temperature. did your disable your onboard sound? are you still getting memory issues? another cause could be a virus have you ran any anti virus program? Other than that i think it could well be gpu ram, the way it just slows down and comes to a halt does indicate gpu memory and as you've ruled out your system ram that points to gpu. as you said it's running at 85c in use which is perfectly fine so that can't effect it. power supply unit is more than enough also a good brand. If you've got a spare pci-express x16 card bang it in your machine and see how it runs.

11. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

Thanks so much for all your help first off!

I will play without sound and test that out.

I upgraded my bios, so i'm gonna test this first so i can isolate the variables.

Is there any sort of way to pin point this problem if it is gfx card related? Like a testing utility for gfx card ram or something like that? :confused:

As far as antivirus software, i run Avira AntiVir Personal. Good enough right...?

12. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

only thing I can think of is 3DMark, you could give that a shot and post your results on here. then we can see if your results match upto people's with a similair rig. plus you can also see if it starts lagging and maybe throw a memory error.

13. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

ORB - World of Performance

In conclusion my cpu score is 41979, my GPU is 11551 .

by the way, i was just playing a game and the audio glitches which preceed the lag began.

14. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek