Computer freezing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stanley Farquar, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Stanley Farquar

Stanley Farquar Geek Trainee

I have a PC freezing about an hour after starting and then freezing again fairly soon after reboot. If I try again
    next day same thing happens

Asrock 970D3 Board
    FS6100 CPU
    12GB Ram
    Radeon HD6750 Card

Built it myself two years ago but only had the problem a month.
    On one occasion windows froze at the splash screen but a few seconds later I heard the sound that comes with the appearance of the log in screen although the screen remained frozen and wondered if the graphics card might be the culprit but am trying free solutions first.
    It isn't a software problem. I have several operating systems on this machine and the same thing happens in both windows and linux. Haven't added or changed anything except operating systems since building it.
    I removed half the ram and problem persisted. Replaced ram and removed other half and it froze almost immediately after start up.
    Next step is swapping the board. I still have the previous and enough time to swap them but really would appreciate being spared the effort.
    Does anyone know of any utilities that will at least help me find out if it is or isn't the board or the cpu ?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Check the boards capacitors to see if any are bulging at the top. Test your video card in another pc...