Computer keeps failing..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ProcalX, May 31, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

for some unknown reason my pc rebooted itself, first i thought what the fuck.. it's been fine since i got it..

so.. all i did was replace my PSU, i had an Encer 300W PSU, i thought this would be better than the spare PSU i had, from ebuyer (it's like £8 or something ridiculous)

anyway, i dont know whats happened but i replaced the Encer with my spare Ebuyer 300W psu (ebuyer products are usually unbranded other manufacturer products) and now the problem has gone away.. and my system is running ALOT cooler (around 28-32C, and around 36-41C full load stock.

without any reboots.. :/

now i realise that this is most likely.. the PSU (as i've had a sneaking suspision that it's been slowing my system down) but why? the only difference i noticed between the PSU's were the power descriptions on the PSU's which are as follows:

Encer:
    115/230V 6A/3A 60/50HZ
    +3.3V | +5V | +12V | -12V | -5V |
    20A | 20A | 10A | 0.5A | 0.5A |

XX +5V N +3.3V TOTAL O/P 170W XX +5Vsb=2.0A XX

Ebuyer PSU:
    115/230V 8A/4A 60/50HZ
    +3.3V | +5V | +12V | -12V | -5V | +5Vsb
    28A | 30A | 15A | 0.8A | 0.3A | 2A

now i realise both psu's are complete dogs, but i've ordered some a new 350W Antec PSU and a spare 600W (just incase) which will arrive in 1 1/2 weeks time as some of it wasn't in stock.

but could someone explain to me, which is more powerful, and how come now, my system is running ALOT cooler than before, and i also get alot more FPS ingames with my 9600XT ie, in BF1942 now in 1024x768@32@72hz i now get instead of 40 - 70 fps i get straight 100fps...

this is v.weird, and something i have not come across before.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, PSU's do deteriorate over time. Crappier ones tend to go sooner than name-brands.
    The Ebuyer's specs are better than the Encer. However, without actually taking a multimeter and testing them, you won't know, but the Ebuyer, just because it hasn't been used really (from what I gather) and is essentially brand new, has an advantage over the Encer.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

*prays that his antec psu arrives ontime*