computer randomly turns off

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ahdrum, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

my computer keeps randomly turning off, not a shut down or restart sequence, turning off as if there is a power outage. it doesn't matter is I am gaming, or if I am just browsing the internet, it all happens randomly. It also sometimes cuts off when my dog bumps into it, which is kinda weird. The CPU Temp has been about 53 deg. celsius on average. I have had this system for almost 2 years, and it hasnt always done this. Here is my sytem specs:

Enermax Noisetaker II 600W
    Elsa Gladiac 940 GT (6800GT)
    Athlon 64 3400+
    Abit KV8-Max3 Motherboard
    Audigy 2
    1 Gb of Kingston Hyper X
    1 Gb of standard kingston
    4 - 80Gb Seagate Hardrives (Raid 5)
    High Point Rocket Raid (cant remember exact model)
    I am running XP Pro

I did install the RAID card at a later time, not sure if this problem started around the time that I installed the raid controller. here are the errors I am getting:

i got this one several times (probably close to 50 or 60 times):

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events And Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

this is another one that occured maybe 5 or 6 times:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events And Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

here are some of the applications errors:

Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 10.0.0.3802, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Hanging application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20060.7278, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Faulting application morrowind.exe, version 1.6.0.1820, faulting module morrowind.exe, version 1.6.0.1820, fault address 0x0018bf63.

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20060.7278, faulting module js3250.dll, version 4.0.0.0, fault address 0x00048ac3.

Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 9.0.0.3250, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

If you have any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Check in you BIOS and see if the system is set to shutdown at a certain temperature. 53*C for an A64 is rather high. You should be getting idle temps on average of 30-35*C for that CPU, even with stock cooling.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

can you also add Event ID's as well with those events..... or alternatively there is a link for Event Viewer in my signature....Just go there and check if you get any possible solution....

4. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

there is not an automatic shutdown when it reaches a certain temp. none of the error messages that i am receiving seem to pertain to this issue.

5. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

any other ideas?

6. Karanislove

7. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

i ran memtest when i first set up my pc to check the RAM, everything was good.

8. Karanislove

This sounds bit stupid but did u check all your power connections...??

9. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

I have a bigger problem now...I checked all of my power connections, everything looked good, so i started my pc up again. When it got to the login screen, it showed a lovely blue screen, then proceeded to automatically reboot my computer....it does it over and over again until i turn it off. Help!

10. Karanislove

Any error message does it displays on the Blue Screen?

11. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

it seems to give me something different each time. here is what it gave me one time:

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x89c22020, 0x89c22194, 0x805C7478)

here is a different one:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80517A49)

but like i said, they are different everytime.

12. Karanislove

Check the article below and see if it solves ur problem...
    [link=http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/russel_02may13.mspx]Windows XP Shut Down and Automatic Reboot Problems[/link]

13. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

I just reset my CMOS, and at first it starts up fine, and I can actually get into windows. but then 10 seconds later it gives me the screen again. I just find it really weird that it started doing this out of nowhere.

14. Karanislove

Insert your windows CD and overwrite it...

15. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

ahhhh i hate doing it, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Do you think this could be caused by a virus?

16. Karanislove

Yup and there could be some other factors as well...Like recently installed new hardware/software... or Hardware failure

17. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

alright, thanks for your help

18. Karanislove

u r welcome....

19. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

ahdrum, please update on how your destructive recovery goes after you've done it. If the problem persists, try running chkdsk to scan for HDD faults. There could be a bad sector that is being attempted to be read which contains an important file vital for the running of Windows. Make sure you tick both scanning options when you're about to initiate the chkdsk.

I do hope the recovery works for you though.

Mike

20. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

Well, I reinstalled Windows and everything is running perfect so far...so software or virus issue most likely. Where can I get a program that does some intense testing on my computer? I hope that actually makes sense.