Computer shuts off 30-1:00 minute after booting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jackal, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

Hey guys.

I'm building a new computer for a friend... Whenever I boot it up, it turns off after a little bit. Even in BIOS.

Here are the specs:
    ASUS P5N-E SLI
    Core 2 Duo E6600
    OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR2 800
    eVGA GeForce 7950 GT
    Enermax 535W PSU

I check to see if it was the PSU acting up, so I swapped it out for my own, (Antec SmartPower 2.0 400W), and it did the same thing. I checked to see if the CPU was properly in place, and, from what I could tell, it was... It hasn't been able to stay on long enough to try MemTest86, nore do I own a mobo that supports DDR2 RAM. RAM-wise, I check to see if either stick was causing the problem: If it is the RAM, then it's both, since it shuts down regardless of which RAM module or RAM slot it is in.

I'm running out of ideas, guys. :(

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

It sounds like the Motherboard is faulty.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Getting any beeps?

4. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

No beeps. It just shuts off. I can get to the starting point of an XP/Vista installation... But it'll then shut off.

And sorry for not responding fast, I was at a New Year's party. ;)

5. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

Ok.

So I just tried the video card. It works...

That narrows it down to either... The mobo, the CPU, or the RAM.

I doubt the RAM would cause the whole system to shut down as if it lost power.

The CPU, while the computer is on, shows all signs of it working.

And the mobo...

You just can't really tell, since it can't run on it's own, but, like Willz suggested... I believe it may be the source of the problems.

But, you can never be too sure. So I'm gonna have to lay down the bad news to my friend, and have him RMA the mobo, CPU, and RAM. That way, we can be almost sure everthing's fresh.

Update: I'm almost certain it's the motherboard, now. I tried to do the whole, reset BIOS to default trick and... Everytime I go to, "Save & Exit", the computer turns off. Every time. I'm trying to find the manual online, (ASUS's site link to the manual is broken, :( ), to see if there's any sort of jumper setting that's causing this... Though I doubt that'd be it. So I'm thinking now that the flash chip might be damaged? Any more input would be appreciated.

Update Again: Gah. Scratch the previous update: it just happened to shut down there and then, by chance the 4 times I tried it. I might have a clue as to what might be going on, though... It might be that the CPU is overheating. I checked the BIOS hardware monitor... The CPU shows up to be at 61*C. :eek: I don't believe that's normal. The heatsink is installed properly... So, I dunno. Maybe it needs more thermal glue? I believe I put a sufficient amount... But I'll try again later on in the day, (as in, not this early in the morning, lol), and see if that cures it.

6. Willz

I think its the motherboard, i had similar experiences with my DFI Infinity 865PE, just randomly shut down, except it lastes longer, sometimes i could play games for hours, but when i went into bios, saved stuff, it just shut off, tried to overclock, it just shut off, and i also thought it was the pcu overheating, said 52 degres, so i put an Artic Freezer 4 in, and it was still 52, so i put a temperature sensor on the bottom of the heatsink and found it was around 35 degrees idle. So it deffo sounds like it was the mobo. Asus and DFi seem to have alot of fault mobos / problems with there mobos.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Early on, yeah, DFI did have problems, but now, they're fine. Just go with some good RAM and PSU, and they're great to work with.

8. Willz

Do you think value ddr400 ram could cause my old computer to shut off with the DFI mobo?

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

it says it in the title will ..."value" DFI needs good ram.
    As for the shutting down of your pc after 30 seconds to one minute i suspect its the ram... check your motherboards handbook to see what beeps mean what... if your not hearing any beeps at all it means the first check the motherboard runs is failing, therefore the hardware its checking isnt working and needs to be replaced.
    That said DFI motherboards have lights that that lightup when each check has passed. So perhaps your ASUS has the same kinda thing.
    Chances are you put the components together without touching a radiator or something first which has shorted something.
    Hope this helps

10. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

Alrighty.

I took apart the whole setup and put it back together piece by piece...

What I believe might of been wrong with it is that the heatsink wasn't attached as tightly to the mobo as it should of, resulting in craptacular heat transfer.

And now it works.

The CPU sits idle at about 46*C and on full load, doesn't pass any higher than 54-55ish.