Computer Shutting Down Spontaneously: Please Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Edward Bowman, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Edward Bowman

Edward Bowman Geek Trainee

Hey everyone. First post on the forum here. Have a rig that I built myself about 3 - 4 years ago - Specs:

Intel i7 2.8GHz, quad core
    Gigabyte UD3 MOBO
    1 64GB Generic (Microcenter) SSD
    1 TB Western Digital Caviar Green 6GB/s
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 480 1GB GDDR5
    Corsair 850W PSU

I had a problem with it about a year ago where it was shutting off spontaneously, turned out that one of the RAM slots had burned (very small noticeable burn mark), so I had to take two of the RAM cards out, reducing myself from 12GB to 8GB, and after I did that everything worked perfectly.

Now the problem is happening again, and I'm not SURE it's the MOBO, but it probably is... Anyone else have any ideas as to how I could fix this problem? Should I just buy a new MOBO?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Check the CPU heatsink to see if it might be clogged up with dust... Sounds like a heat problem, But It could be something else as well.. Check all cooling fans.. Re Check all ram sticks, Remove all ram but One, and then test each one on the same slot.

pctestcardcom likes this.
  3. avior

avior Geek Trainee

Sniper likes this.
  4. pctestcardcom

pctestcardcom Geek Trainee

Seems like overheated issue or the previous damaged RAM slots issue as well.

Besides checking the temperature and replacing the thermal paste, I would suggest we check the other RAM slots and capacitors on the mobo as well.
    There could be electricity current running through the RAM slot or related components, maybe last RAM slot burn out also caused some conoenents to depreciate faster or short as well.
    So look like a mobo issue to me.

Hope this helps.
    Bill
    Tech Manager, WPTinc.