computer turns off randomly

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by MercyFlush, Mar 7, 2008.

1. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Geek Trainee

ok so i just installed a new hard drive in my computer, and it started turning off after a couple seconds of being on. i took this hard drive out, and the problem is still doing this. i noticed that the liquid level in the liquid cooling system i have was maybe a little low, or at least had an air pocket in it. do you think that this could be causing overheating in the cpu which would automatically shut it down? i wasnt sure whether or not to put this into the CPU area of the forums or the cooling section, so sorry if this is the wrong one

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

I'm not very familiar with liquid cooling, however if there were any pockets of air between major components, it is definitely possible for your computer to overheat. One simple way to see if your computer is overheating would be to power it on and go straight to the BIOS and watch the temperature for several minutes. If your cooling system is working properly, I would be shocked to see it go over 40 Celsius. Other things to consider would be a faulty/failing PSU and bad caps on your motherboard. Hope this helps. Let us know how things progress.

3. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Geek Trainee

ok so basically idling my computer runs at about 51 degrees Celsius

4. Dracos

Dracos Geek

what are you concerning as your compuer, the enviromental temp. in case or cpu?

5. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Geek Trainee

oh right i should have clarified. my cpu

6. rimmer

rimmer Geek

if possible, try reflashing / updating your BIOS, you know how to do this?

7. Dracos

Dracos Geek

for an overclocked cpu this is a good temp no problems for you what are your board temp. etc.

8. uravgjoe

uravgjoe Geek Trainee

My bud has a similar problem on hand except we are not sure what the problem is. He has a Compaq Evo N 800C (yr.=2002) with 2 major issues:
    1. Computer turns off randomly
    2. Flickering screen

We have tested the laptop by connecting it to other monitors and both the problems still recurr. He recently even had new RAM installed (previously 256MB, now 768MB) and motherboard was replaced last month. It boots fine sometimes and then shuts down and other times, it starts flickering while the booting is happening and then the screen is frozen and have to force shut it down. Any help in this regard is welcome. We have already spent a ton of money on this and would like to get it working. Thanks.