computer will not boot from floppy

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by paragora, Jan 25, 2004.

1. paragora

paragora Geek Trainee

hello, i have recently used norton ghost as a last resort to clone a hard drive for a second computer of mine due to the fact that the main computer was having problems with the floppy drive. I cloned the drive on my main pc which is an amd duron based, i booted from the cloned drive, it booted fine. I took the hardrive to the other pc which has the same bios and a very similar chip, and the pc booted and stuck in the midst of the boot screen, over and over at the same place. Oddly enough 98 done the same way did not cause this problem. somehow in the midst of all this, the floppy drives on either of the pcs will work for booting. Im almost clueless as to what this could be other that a virus in the bios. I have tried new floppy drives , and changed the bios to original state, floppy boot , ive even tried no other boot devices other than floppy and all it will do is go strait to the hd. I am stumped as to what this would be, i know its hard to tell unless its sitting in front of it, but if anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated. :confused: paragora

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Make sure the floppy cable is connected correctly.

3. paragora

paragora Geek Trainee

it definatly is connected properly, due to the fact that it was working before, and it seems to be working in windows now. but still not in dos/boot

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

strange, try to disable the hard drive from the boot options screen, and only have the floppy as the boot device, see what happens.

5. paragora

paragora Geek Trainee

already tried that, i wound up having a friend with a floppy somehow get the hardrive working, which he put 2kadv server on there, which is horrible for what im doing, very unstable, of course its not a server thats probably why. i guess ill deal

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Win2k-AS is a resource-hungry beast, it is. Not to mention the fact that you've got dozens of server processes going that: a) you don't need, b) are compromising you security and c) are wasting your limited resources. I'd recommend replacing it with Win2k-Pro, which runs on about 64mb RAM and a Pentium1 satisfactorily. If you can run Win2k Advanced Server, you can definately run Pro! It's exactly the same OS.