Computer will not start

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by spadel, Mar 19, 2009.

1. spadel

spadel Geek Trainee

Hi, my computer will not start when I press the power button, not even the fans go on. I changed the alimentation but this has not solved my problem.

The led on the motherboard is on (green led), so electricity is is going through.
    I had a message "Overclocking failure" in the past when starting the machine. Do you think I have damaged my mother board? How can I check that? Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2.66 GHz, 4MB, 1333MHZ FSB
    Chipset: Intel P35
    motherboard: Asus P5K
    RAM 3x Corsair ValueSelect 1GB, DDR2-667, CL5 (original set up: 2x Corsair ValueSelect 1GB, DDR2-667, CL5)
    Graph: Gainward 9800GTX+ (G92b) 512MB (original set up: EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 675MHz, 256MB DDR3)
    HDD: Samsung 400GB SATA II & Samsung 750 GB SATA II
    Alimentation: 550W OZV (new, I replaced my 400 W today to try and solve the problem)

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, have you tried one stick of ram at a time in each memory dimm? have you tried clearning cmos. do you have display LED on you board with a code? have you tried re-seating graphics card? was the computer ever working? did you overclock it?, is it all stock frequencys? they seem to be bad news them Asus PK5 mothrboards another guy on this forum has problems with the exact same motherboard. Also is the motherboard sittin on the spacers and not on the back of the case? Have you also checked that the power button on your case isn't jammed or sticking? try taking the front panel off the front of the case and try clickin the power switch.

3. spadel

spadel Geek Trainee

Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried all expet for:
    have you tried one stick of ram at a time in each memory dimm?
    have you tried clearning cmos.

The computer used to work with no problem. Actually there is a detail I forgot to mention. The computer froze on stand-by, I was not able to shut it down by maintining the power button. I finally hat to cut the power using the on/off button at the back. Ever since, the machine doesn't start...

More I think about, more I think my motherboard is damaged. But would like to be sure before changing it.... If you have any other advice, thanks!

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

did you overclock your cpu?

5. spadel

spadel Geek Trainee

No, never overclocked.

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I think it could be Ram, just try what i mentioned in the previous post and if you also have a stick of spare ram try that in one dimm at a time, see if it powers up.

7. spadel

spadel Geek Trainee

Ok, thanks... I will give it a try.

8. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

you also mentioned when your pc froze you kept the power button held down and it didnt shut off. as i said in a previous post did you check your power switch by takin off the case front panel? and also another way of ruling out power switch is to, connect two wires to your power switch jumpers on your mother board control panel and touch them together.

9. spadel

spadel Geek Trainee

Ok, something interesting happens... the computer does not start up, but when I put a stick of RAM in Dimm_b1 and click the switch on the alimentation (not the main power button), the fuses of my place flips. I tried with two different RAM sticks.
    On another hand, if I have two RAM sticks, one in Dimm_A1 and Dimm_b1, the fuses don't flip...

10. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

wow crazy, its causing your fuses in your house to trip?, meaning its getting a power surge? you tried another plug socket? and also just leave one stick of ram in dimm A1.

11. spadel

spadel Geek Trainee

Hi, yes I did remove the front panel and tired to starting by pressing directly on the small starter...

another way of ruling out power switch is to, connect two wires to your power switch jumpers on your mother board control panel and touch them together

That's a good idea, do I simply touch the two wires or do I keep them together? I give that a try sometime later... Thanks for all your tips

12. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi just touch them together, dont keep them together. and if it doesn't boot you will know its not power switch.

13. spadel

spadel Geek Trainee

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all your help! I got the computer to start (and am writting from it now) !!! Cleaning the CMOS was the winning solution in this case. I re-setup my BIOS configuration and the computer just started like in the past!

I had a Windows Vista message "Fatal error ..." related to the hiberfirl.sys... I guess, what happend was, this fatal error froze the computer. I then forced the shut down by cutting the power => this corrupted something on the mobo and reufsed to start.

Maybe you have a more technical explanation but in any case, thanks, it now all works!

14. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

good job man, yea clearing Cmos basically just sets bios back to default settings. stock voltages, frequencys etc. because the computer froze up and you cut the power must have caused it to corrupt the bios.