Computer would not start

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mack, May 16, 2007.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Hi, A couple of days ago my friends little kind messed with my PC and now it would not start.
    When I attach the power cable, the Mobo lights up, but when i turn the power button on nothing happens.

My mobo is the Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi and the signal on the LED on the mobo says 1.0. PSU is the Antec True Power 550W.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Computer wouldnot start

ok no problems! (in theory) i take it the power doesnt come on at all... in that case:-

the only reason I can think of why your PC won't switch on is because someone has been INSIDE the computer and tugged with the power wires, first open the case and look for the big snake wire, check thats firmly in place on the motherboard

if it is then you need to put back the power wire, which isnt that easy to put back, inside the pc case locate any wires that are coming from the front face of the case around the back somewhere, they should be connected to your motherboard, if you find one thats lost its home then put it back, its all colour cordinated its just finding it.

if all wires are ok then it may be the wire is seperate from the others, have a jolly good luck for it, prasuming it hasnt been snapped off and pulled out it should be there.

good luck

HOWEVER, if the power comes on but you only get a black screen (with no beeps or any signs of life) then look for a power lead which may have come loose from the motherboard, this would typically be a small 4-pin connector that needs to fix onto the TOP LEFT of the motherboard next to the big block CPU housing

if none of these were successfull then reply and we will help further

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Computer wouldnot start

It sound like your power supply could of went bad, there is a way to test it.
    To test it, unplug the main batch of wires that go to the mother board,unhook everything else and remove the power supply from the case. Next on a wooden table or bed top , take a paper clip and bend it into a U, place one end into the green wire and the other end into one of the black,It should start the power supply up. If it does not, then the power supply is bad..

4. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Computer wouldnot start

My PC is Usually open. I will check the main power cable that goes in the mobo, however, if that cable is detached, then how come the mobo light comes on?
    I also thought that the PSU might be the problem however, since the mobo light comes on when I turn on the PSU, I ruled it out. However, I have a spare 350W psu, but unpluging and pluging everything back is a big hassel.
    In order to test, can I just detach the main cable and attach the 350W main cable in the MOBO and try to turn it on, Is should work or not?

5. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Computer wouldnot start

Ok here are the Updates.

I have another PC which runs on a 350W Antec PSU.
    E-machines
    AMD XP 3200
    ATi Radeon 9500 PRO (AGP)
    256MB RAM
    XP Pro

Unfortunately I can't replace the 350PSU with my 550W one because the switch are not compatible (The old one has for less holes).
    Anyway, i connected my 550W PSU in my old PC and it worked. It Turned on.
    Now this is how I connected. I just unpluged the main power Cable which goes from my PSU (550W) to my mobo, and plugged it into my old PC's mobo.
    Turned on the power button on my old PC and all the fans of my old PC and new PC began running.

From this I think there are two possible:
    1) Either the PSU (550W) is not powerful enough to Power my PC.
    2) The mobo is dead. (Please if anybody can tell me the symptoms when a mobo dies)

6. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Computer wouldnot start

Or could it be the Processor,..

Any suggestions,..

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Computer wouldnot start

The old 350W sounds like it has a 20-pin ATX connector, while your new one has a 24-pin connector. While it's preferrable to use a 24-pin, you still can try the 350W. I'd use it to run the bare minimum (motherboard, CPU, CPU heatsink, 1 stick RAM, video---and use some basic PCI video card to help keep power requirements down).

Have you checked your manual to see what they say the 1.0 code means? That could help narrow down the culprit.
    Do you know what your buddy messed with more specifically, like what area?

8. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Computer wouldnot start

I have tried it 350W (not with bare Minmum), and it didn't work, But I will try it again with the bare minimum and see if it works.
    The 550W was able to run my old AMD XP, with 9500PRO.

I will try to look for the manual On line or from Abit's website
    Abit Fata1ty AN8 SLi
    (Just to tell you it had an NB From problem, when ever I turned on the PC, Most of the time I had to Touch the NB fan so that it will start Running. That is WHY I had the PC open all the time. Never Closed it)

2) I wasn't home hence i really don't know.

9. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Computer wouldnot start

OK I have the manual Now the error could be 01 or 10 (if i am reading upside down)

01 Expand the Xgroup codes locating in Physical Address 1000:0

10 Auto detect flash type to load appropriate Flash R/W codes into the runtime area in F000 for ESCD & DMI Support.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Computer wouldnot start

Check your jumpers. It's really a guess, but I wonder if a jumper got moved, particluarly the clear CMOS one, and in the clear position, that would throw a wrench in the works.

11. Mack

Mack Big Geek

aah, My Room mate told me that the computer was working fine after the kid played with it. After a couple of turn on and off, it wouldn't turn on again.
    I took everything out of the mobo just pluged the main cable in it, but no use.

12. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

in that case it has to be the MB if its not the PSU, check the cmos jumpers too like BigB said, that will stop you from switching it back on again the jumper is located next to the battery, check manual for more info and check the small power lead which connects to your motherboard from the switch, turn it round to make sure

13. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

did you test that power supply,If it goes on then your mother board is probable bad. I have three like that here,make nice paper weights. more than likely something burnt out.

14. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Solved, Thanks guys, Specially Big B, I think the CMOS was the problem. Actually I couldn't find the CMOS Jumpers than today I remembered that my Uguru Panel resets the CMOS via button. I check where the cable goes took it out, reset the CMOS and pluged it back and everything is back to track.
    Thanks guys,..