confused modem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by drsoos, Feb 5, 2005.

1. drsoos

drsoos Geek Trainee

i just in the last 3 days started surfing with a new clone running windows xp.
    after 2 days when i connect to internet an almost unstopable series of pop-ups start appearing
    and also, Can anyone tell me why my dial up internet conection would be sending more info than i am recieving.
    after 20 minutes connection with no other pages than this one ,the activity says i have recieved 650,000 bytes, while
    i have sent 3,000,000 in the same time.

i am running norton, and i also just downloaded and ran both spybot(ran first found 24 objects was only able to remove 23) and adware-se witch found 24 objects and quarentined them all.

But i still have both problems and they are drastically slowing my already slow connection

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You may have been compromised by worms, trojans, spyware, or all of the above. Try out Lavasoft's AdawareSE Personal and see what kind of spyware it can remove. Also, even with an antivirus, Windows is not without it's gaping security holes. It's not too hard for the enterprising script kiddie to take control of vulnerable Windows systems. If you are infected with a typical strain of worm or trojan, Housecall often finds what Norton misses.

Check out our Networking and Security FAQ for more info.

3. Addis

Addis The King

The sent bytes maybe to do with the worms sending out copies of itself like the blaster did. Some P2P software like Kazaa Media Desktop have spyware which can induce the pop-ups your getting.