Connecting Z5500's to TV?

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Willz, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, i want to connect my Logitech Z5500's to a tv, and also possibly to a DVD player so i can have surround sounnd in movies, the problem is, there is no optical outputs on the dvd or tv, so i need to use some other cables, i am unsure what to use? any suggestions?

BTW, this is a fairly old TV, 28" CRT i think, maybe 32" but anyway its got a DVD player, video and freeview box connected to it too.

2. Marcus_X

Marcus_X Expert N00b

If your tv has a coaxial output, you could try using an amplifier with optical outputs.

You'd connect the amplifier to the tv by regular coaxial cables and the Z5500 with an optical cable.

The only drawback is you won't be able to listen to audio in DTS which the Z5500 supports. DTS can only be obtained by an digital optical connection between a DTS capable amplifier and a DVD player.

It'll cost you some to get that, it'll probably put your 8800GTS on a hold for a while if you might go for an amplifier first. :)

Greetings,

Marcus_X

3. Willz

Nothing will be putting my GTS on hold :p

The TV dont have coax aswell, i know how to get 2 channel, which is ok for the moment as TV is only 2 channel, and i can upmix it to 5.1 using PL2 on my z5500, my DVD player suks, doesent have coax or optical, i think the one in the lounge does tho, i will have to try and get the one in the lounge :p

4. zeus

zeus out of date

If your TV only has L+R out then thats all you can use... via a 3.5mm jack --> L+R converter.

What connections does you DVD player have on the back? What dvd player is it?

5. Willz

All i know about the DVD Player is thats is made by Akura, its got no optical on the back, maybe coax, i cant get to the dvd player at the moment.