continuously restarting on windows setup

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Thamizhinpan, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Thamizhinpan

Thamizhinpan Geek Trainee

I am trying to reinstall Win Xp
    First I have faced an error "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4." on booting setup.
    So I clean the ram slots and replace it.
    Then I can boot setup now.
    But after the setup files copied, system goes to restart.(It is natural in XP installation)
    But I can't continue setup after restarted system.
    Because it continuously restarting.
    Note: I have a good experience on windows XP installation. So I have set up the booting priority correctly.
    I think this is a hardware problem.
    What can I do to solve it?

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

you mentioned that the setup continued fine when you cleaned the memory modules/slots. In all my experience, problems with the computer restarting were are due to bad memory. Maybe you should try the following:

Run a memory diagnostics program like Memtest.

If you have 2 memory sticks, take 1 of them out and try to run Setup again (and if that doesn't work, try and do the same with the other stick).

If you have only 1 stick, ask someone to give you a compatible memory module and try the setup with that one.

good luck

3. Tech

Tech Padawan

So I take it that you've gone through the fiirst part of setup ( hardware detection, fs/partitioning and EULA ) and when the sys goes to reboot into the GUI for the rest of the setup the sys keeps rebooting if I'm understanding correctly.

Problems of this nature generally point towards hardware. As well as the suggestion from edijs to test your memory it might also be worth using the update adviser to check your hardwares copatibility with Windows

4. Thamizhinpan

But Memtest is not work on any computer.
    System goes hang with Blue and Green Screen when I load it from dos mode.
    What's wrong on it.

5. edijs

edijs Programmer

something's really bad...

try and get a Hiren's Boot CD and try some tools from there - CPU, Memory etc...

6. Thamizhinpan

I checked ram and Hard disk.
    I accept that hard disk also have some bad sectors.
    So I replaced a new hard disk; but the problem did not come to an end. I can see the same problem continuously.
    I think cause of this problem is my mother board. But I don’t know how to test it.:eek:

So I have decided to install any other operating systems with my old hard disk.
    But Windows ME wants to scan my hard disk fully with out any errors. So I can’t install it also.:doh:
    Can I install it with out scan full disk?
    Else can any one give any Ideas to install any other operating systems?:confused:

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What is the make and model of this computer, plus ram and hard drive size...

8. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

I'm missing something here...

After your attempt to install XP, when does the system restarts itself?...just after booting? or when it tries to reach the hdd files?
    You should be able to run Memtest since you will boot from a cd or a floppy. If you cannot even boot, then it has nothing to do with the XP installation.
    Think in a bad HDD too. I had a similar case some days ago. I was trying to install XP and every time it tried to load the EULA I got a blue screen. I tried different XP cds and the same thing. I just change the HDD and voila!!

9. Thamizhinpan

My computer can boot.
    Yes i'll restart when reach the hdd files!
    But I have replaced a new hard disk; but the problem did not come to an end.

10. Thamizhinpan

It is assambled by me.
    Mother Board: Gigabyte
    Ram: Samsung DDR1 256MB
    Harddisk: Maxtor 40GB

I checked Ram already on another PC! It was working correctly!

11. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

So, I understand that the same thing is happening with two different HHDs??
    If so, then try disconnecting every unnecessary device in your system. This includes Extra video cards, audio cards, network, modem, all the usb devices, possible floppy drive, etc. Just leave your CD and HDD.
    Try changing the RAM to another empty slot. How many DIMM you have and how many empty slots?

12. Thamizhinpan

I have already done it. But I can't see any improvements.
    I have only 2 Memory Slots. But I have 2 Memory cards (each 128 MB) on those slots.

I'm also have a doubt in memory slots on Motherboard.
    But I don't know how to test it.

13. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

When installing XP,when it is going to restart for the first time, Are you pushing any buttons, Or are you just letting xp do it's thing ?Do not touch nothing and just let XP go on too is next step.

14. Thamizhinpan

No! I didn't touch any key on booting.
    I have install xp from begin more then 20 times to solve this problem.
    But I can't do it.:doh:

:confused:

15. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

try remove one stick of ram, then see if it will go through right..
    Also ,It might be your setup disk is no good. To me it sounds like a hardware conflict somewhere.

16. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

A Ghost said, could be the setup disk but you may check your RAM. You'll need to try install XP at least a few more time :doh:
    The first thing I would do is to borrow a memory DIMM from a friend and put yours apart. Try it first in one slot and then, if it doesn't work, try it in the other...and of course, try to get another CD too....:cool:

good luck