Converting VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by DonMegel, Jul 6, 2003.

1. DonMegel

DonMegel Geek Trainee

Ok, Ill be gettig a DVD burner later but right now im shopping for something that will get video from my VCR into the PC where I can then burn it to a DVD. The cheaper the better while still maintaining quality.

Any sugestions?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you'll need to get something that can use the video and audio cables hooked up to the PCI. ATi's All-In-Wonder series of cards might be what you want. On the other hand, if you're not looking to replace a video card, Pinnacle has a few different solutions for the PC, one of which is an external USB device to which you can connect from the VCR.

If the VCR has S-Video out, this can work as well, and would give some better quality. I'm not sure of the price, but you're probably looking at a $50 investment at least.

ATi's TV-Wonder has S-Video and RCA inputs, and that's around $70. If you want something better, you're gonna have to pay more. This isn't a graphics card, just a TV-tuner card with extra inputs.

Look here: http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=47&DEPA=1
    There's a lot of products that can fit the bill. How much you want to spend is up to you.

3. DonMegel

DonMegel Geek Trainee

I read poor reviews of the Pinnacle device... 50$ is my target price, a little over is ok...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I checked out one of the Leadtek TV Tuner with video capture, and it seemed to get a good review on Newegg (although I'd search the internet for other reviews). Same deal with the MSI TV @nywhere card. Both should be around your target price.

5. BanZai

BanZai Geek Trainee

An unorthodox option that you could also consider if you own a Digital Video camcorder is to run your VCR through the video-in on the DV cam and run a FireWire cable from the DV cam to your PC. Mind you, the quality could be degraded due to the fact that the signal would convert a couple of times.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

True, that would work, although the recording time would take twice as long, and that's if a DV cam is available.

7. DonMegel

DonMegel Geek Trainee

I think I will go with the TV LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP TV/FM MULTIMEDIA CARD. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

How's it working for ya?

9. DonMegel

DonMegel Geek Trainee

I just got it but I know nothing of Codecs. Whats the diffrence between MPEG2 and MPEG4? How do I get it to smoothly capture when set to MPEG4? MPEG4 seamed a little poorer quality than MPEG2. Any one know where I can find a site to help me with this stuff?