Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24Bit Buzzzzz

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by SlashAnger, Aug 30, 2005.

1. SlashAnger

SlashAnger Geek Trainee

I've been stripping the internet for info - found some! But weren't very helpful. My brand new SB-Live makes a "buzzz" noise when I'm playing games, especially GTA SA! I have a 1Ghz, 128Mb ram system. Also, GTA SA runs horribly slow when I'm using the SB-Live!! It runs better on my ISA AOpen Crystal soundcard!?! I would love to know if my SB is doomed, if so, I'll return it for my money back. thanx :(

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Well GTA runs horribly slow cause you have 128MB RAM and a slow CPU!
    You dont have a microphone plugged in by any chance?
    Because i had a similar problem with my old soundblaster where if it was too loud its was feeding back through the mic!

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

What OS are you running? Do you have a VIA chipset? If you don't know, please provide the make & model of your motherboard.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

if its a sound blaster it may have an equaliser and/or EAX advanced console which allows you to put audio effects on, if you have these make sure the audio effects are off and that you're levels are right,
    also what are your speakers like, if you have to have them turned up high when palying the game and they arent very good quality sometimes you can get a buzzing...

5. The Game

The Game Geek Trainee

Just get a new system, that system is way too slow for those type of games, what graphics card are you using?

6. SlashAnger

SlashAnger Geek Trainee

Hi! No, I'm not using any EAX effects and no microphone is plugged in. I've got a Radeon 9200se and Windows98 SE. I'm using Turando SR-301 2.1 speakers. To be honest, GTA SA runs well (but not smooth) on my PC with my old soundcard installed. My Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7IXEH with the VIA KT133E chipset. Thanx for all the replies!

*Forgot to say that the exact same BUZZZZ occurs when I'm playing Warcraft III

7. pelvis_3

Does this buzzz happen randomly or all the time?
    Also you might try different speakers or headphones on your current setup to rule out the speakers!

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

also have you got any other electrical items very close to the speakers, there could be some EMI (electro magnetic interference) happening. try moving things around.
    If not then i can only say its your sound card and you may have to send it back and get a new one and see.

9. SlashAnger

SlashAnger Geek Trainee

It occurs mainly when my PC is working, while allot of activity is taking place. Also, there's no EMI. And I think it's getting worse! I'm starting to hear high pitch noises. I think it's because of my slow cpu / ram! Can anybody confirm this?

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i dont know, honestly i'd change back to your old sound card and see if you can take the new SB one back and get a replacement, if its not happening with your old card maybe something's faulty with the new one...are the drivers up to date?

SlashAnger likes this.
  11. SlashAnger

SlashAnger Geek Trainee

Help!! It's going crazy! I'm listening to MP3's in Windows and it does that buzz thing!!! It's the newest drivers I could find.

12. pelvis_3

Like i said 4 posts ago, have you tried different speakers?

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

this may sound a little noobish but have you got it plugged into the right socket? (line out green coloured)
    if its a 5.1 or 7.1 card and its in the wrong socket it might make funny noises.

14. SlashAnger

SlashAnger Geek Trainee

It's even happening in windows!!! I'll try to find another PC to test it with. If it does the same thing, I'll return the damn thing. Thanx for all your help!!

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

's alryt, we're here to helo, strange though because usually it would be a crappy pair of speakers, bad wiring, dodgy connection, interference, feedback that would cause something like this but you've tried all these things and your old card works i would do what you're doing and try the SB card in another machine, if if works then you've got me stumped, if it doesnt, send it back and try to get a refund or a replacement card and see if that works.
    also have you turned off the onboard sound? maybe it would work with one type of card but clash with another....i'm not sure i'm just throwing ideas about here...
    (catches idea as it whizzes past face)

16. SlashAnger

SlashAnger Geek Trainee

Yeah - tried different speakers, same thing happens. I don't have onboard sound. I'll get back to you all when I've tried it in a different PC, which is tomorrow, to let you know if that worked or not.

*It's plugged into the right socket (green socket)

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

okay good luck.

18. SlashAnger

SlashAnger Geek Trainee

Conclusion: My current computer is to slow for my SB!! I've tested the SB on a brand new PC and there were no sound problems! I think it's time I upgraded :cool:

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

ahh cool, glad you worked out what the problem was

(w00t 600 posts!)