Debian Lenny broke - long

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Fred, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Fred

Fred Moderator

Well, to start, I haven't updated my packages recently. I decided to go ahead and
    Code:
    aptitude update && aptitude upgrade
    For god knows what reason, the system hangs unpacking or installing tzdata. It says "No userspace suspend support in kernel" and in the same message says "current kernel doesn't support userspace software suspend. Recompile kernel with CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND = y" And for the record, I am running kernel 2.6.23.17.hwf.core2.01

For some reason, during this upgrade, swiftfox and opera have both stopped working. Furthermore, upon rebooting I cannot log into my account. I go to bash and try to log in. Logging in works, but I get some errors.
    Code:
    bash: id: command not found
    bash: [: : integer expression expected
    bash: dircolors: command not found 
    Same error if I log in as root. After logging in as root, if I issue
    Code:
    aptitude full-upgrade
    it tells me it is unable to locate the linux-headers-2.6. etc. When I try to download and reinstall the kernel image and headers
    Code:
    dpkg -i *.deb 
    it gives ldconfig, start-stop-daemon, install-info, update-rc.d were not found on path.

I know this is long but dang man. Any ideas? Am I basically screwed. Thank god for NFS fileserver.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Just friendly FYI, but you're running Debian Testing; you should always keep your packages up to date. :O
    aptitude upgrade is depreciated in Sid/Lenny, use
    Code:
    aptitude full-upgrade
    # or
    aptitude safe-upgrade
    Depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Having software suspend not compiled in isn't a problem; that's only an informational message. The software suspend and ACPI settings in 2.6.23.17.hwf.core2.01 are straight from the official Debian kernel configs: Debian Official Kernel Configurations

The message you received is normal, but you should have been able to "OK" your way out of it and proceed. Did you panic and cancel the upgrade with a Ctrl+C or something? :(

Sounds like you stopped mid-upgrade and left some major components unconfigured...

Hate to be harsh, but consider this as a lesson learned. If you're going to run a testing version of Debian, don't stop apt/aptitude mid-upgrade. :eek: Major things get upgraded during updates on testing builds, like glibc... If you leave them unconfigured, you have a very broken system.
    I'd have to know more about exactly what is broken to know how to fix it, but probably it'll involve a lot of manual installation and configuration. Most likely, you will be able to recover it just fine though, as long as you don't panic and do anything rash. :D

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

Actually, after that message appears, the upgrade automatically stops. I didn't have the opportunity even if i had wanted to.
    Well is there anything I can do to let you know what I'm missing? My guess would be everything important

Any FYI, anytime I try to use apt-get/aptitude install package it says
    Code:
    The package linux-headers-[i]my version[/i] needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it. 

*update* I was looking through the commands I used yesterday and realized that I used aptitude dist-upgrade (wtf) yesterday instead of aptitude upgrade. :-( So I dunno about you, AT, but I'm thinking that broke it.

4. Anti-Trend

Now that's pretty weird; I manage about 12 Lenny boxes, and 3 of those are within arm's reach. On all 12 of those systems, I got a blue ncurses prompt explaining that there was no software suspend support in kernel, and was able to continue normally with the upgrades. My guess on this is that there's another factor that hasn't been identified yet. For example, a 'Sid' or Debian-backports entry in your apt sources, etc.

When in doubt, look at the logs! The apt and aptitude logs would be of particular interest.

I'm not sure why you need the kernel headers installed to proceed, unless it's trying to rebuild a binary blob like the virtualbox driver, or madwifi. But in any case, the kernel sources for your specific kernel are here: http://www.hardwareforums.com/repo/..._2.6.23.17.hwf.core2.01-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

5. Fred

Fred Moderator

I do have a sid repo in my sources.list, but it is commented out and has been for several months. Virtualbox is not the cause... I haven't even installed it on this system.

I am about to go somewhere, but when I get back I will check my apt logs and see what I come up with. I will post the results here.

Oh, and about the kernel headers... I have already downloaded and tried to install those. But as I think I mentioned before... When I use dpkg, it gives ldconfig, start-stop-daemon, install-info, update-rc.d were not found on path. Only it lists them individually as missing.

Dang man. I am good at breaking stuff.

6. Fred

Fred Moderator

Here is my aptitude log:

Also attached are the permissions for my /lib/modules/'uname -r'/:

*edit* Added modules.txt

Attached Files:

7. Anti-Trend

At least it's only tzdata that's broken, as far as I've seen. Did you already do dpkg-reconfigure tzdata? Also, please run ls -la /lib/modules/`uname -r` and send the results.

8. Fred

Fred Moderator

The permissions of my /lib/modules/'uname -r'/ are on my previous post. On the other hand, I can't perform
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    I dont know if the reconfigure portion is supposed to come with dpkg or not, but it doesn't seem to be there. It looks like I have
    Code:
    dpkg-architecture, dpkg-buildpackage, dpkg-checkbuilddeps, dpkg-deb, dpkg-distaddfile, dpkg-genchanges, dpkg-gencontrol, dpkg-gensymbols, dpkg-name, dpkg-parsechangelog, dpkg-query, dpkg-scanpackages, dpkg-scansources, dpkg-shlibdeps, dpkg-source, dpkg-split