Decent Modular PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by urb1972, Sep 28, 2005.

1. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

(referring to http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=8017)

With the Coolermaster 732 case in mind, what power supply do you think I should get to avoid having to revert my fan like sabashuali had to?

I read on what you lot seemed to think were good brands. As I plan to get a 3.0 or 3.2 (Prescott?) P4, and was gonna stop at 2gb memory and a £100 graphics card, I thought 500 would be more than enough, but want one that is both reliable under heavy use.

I also want it to be modular, as I only intend to have 1 hard drive, 1 dvd drive and a floppy drive. I'm not sure if the Coolermaster 732 draws power for its fans directly from the mobo or from a molex adaptor to connect directly to the PSU.

On my current system, a case fan I'd installed with a blue LED I had connected to the rear fan pins on the mobo and it started off static then flashed strobe constantly. I'd never installed a case fan before and I wasn't sure if the LED ones were supposed to flash like this. However, a friend came round and suggested I use the molex adaptor to power it from the PSU and now it it remains on static. More case clutter, though. Probably the newbiest thing ever to admit I didn't know, but there you go.

I've got this PSU in mind:
    Tagan TG530-U15 530W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/urb1972/Tagan_EasyCon.jpg

Is that okay, or overkill? :devilsdsd

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

urb1972 likes this.
  3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

If you buy a good quality PSU (ie with good Amps on the V Rails) then a 250W would could run a P4 / 2GB / X800 256mb / 2 Sata drives / DVD-RW / mobo e.t.c

Tagan makes good quality PSU's, the Amps per Voltage Rail are more than generous, a 530W is not overkill, but if u buy it do not replace it for something else when u upgrade - u dont need to.

on a 530W Tagan PSU you could easily run:
    Dual Core 4800+
    2GB Memory (4x512mb)
    2 500GB SATA-II HDD
    2 x Optical Drives
    2 x 6800GT in SLI

just have ot make sure you share your PSU V lines equally around your PC.

urb1972 likes this.
  4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

OCZ's ModStream 450 is fairly popular as is Antec's NeoPower 480. The Sunbeam NUUO550 is the only nVidia SLI-certified modular power supply on the market right now. Newegg lists that sucker for $79.00, which given modular factor and Sunbeam being relatively unknown in the power supply business, it's price is damn near amazing as I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than the OCZ and Antec unit's I mentioned.

I haven't used Hiper, but I've been hearing some good things about them. The UK lads that hit this place up tend to favor them or Tagan units.

urb1972 likes this.
  5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah
    Matt555 = UK Lad
    Matt555 Likes: Tagan TG480-U01
    willhub = UK Lad
    willhub Likes: Hiper Type-R 580W Modular PSU
    I hear good things about Hiper PSU's personally I'd prefer a known trusted company though.

urb1972 likes this.
  6. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

So where is this land of rip-off computer shops?

I thought PC World had branches everywhere? ;)

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Off Topic (directing to right thread)
    lmao its the Town of rip off computer shops, see this thread

urb1972 likes this.
  8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

:p, yea i have a hiper type-r-580w at first, i was worried that with all the stuff in my case, and new graphics card, i was worried that the power supply would fail, but, its GREAT!, cool looking psu, 580/630w, UV reactive, got a decent 120mm fan in, and 80mm high quality fan sucking air out of the psu, the 80mm fan stays on for about 10 mins after the computer has turned off, this helps cool it down and suck hot air out of the case, the power supply is also running very cool at the moment.

Its a brilliant psu, i got it for £72 at pc world, although, it can be sold for as much as £50 on the internet i bellive. :) also, the power supply's fans all light up too :D

one letdown about the Hiper type-r psu, it is not SLI ready, i dont know if you can get splitters so 2 pci-e cards can run on one line :\

urb1972 likes this.
  9. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I know this seems like a newbie question, and off topic, but as I don't know what it is, I wouldn't know what thread to put it in...

...but what is SLI? I thought it was something to do with Nvidia :confused:

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Here's a good link to tell you what it is, better then i can explain.

urb1972 likes this.
  11. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

cheers Matt, I've just read it.

Just a couple of points then, are these two cards both PCI then, or is one AGP? If they are PCI, or PCI Express (if that's a new thing: does that refer to a new card that can fit in an existing PCI or are the sockets themselves PCI Express on some mobos) are AGP cards a dying trend?

Also what mobos support it? I take it mine doesn't as it would probably have "SLI Ready" slapped all over the specs.

(http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d865perl/index.htm)

If it did I missed it!

:confused:

12. Willz

PCI-E is a new type of slot of gaming, motherboards with PCI-E on dont have AGP, motherboards thast are SLI enabled, have 2 PCI-E x16 slots on, so 2 graphics cards can fit, PCI-E is far different from PCI.

PCI-E is also extreamly faster than AGP.

urb1972 likes this.
  13. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

My motherboard doesn't have them :crying:

cheers willhub,

that's made my decision for me.

Sell mobo. Sell CPU. Go Athlon. Buy FX64 (or whatever is P4 3.0 equiv) and get nice mobo with crisp PCI Express slots... Damn this is gonna cost a lot.

14. Willz

you really dont want an AMD-64-FX they cost in the regeion of £500, you want an AMD-64-3200+
    also, just get one ati radoen X800XT PE as they can run on sli motherboards i think, or get one GF 6800GT, or why not, buy a crossfir motherboard (ATI) then buy a pci-E Ati radeon X800XT PE, and put it on that motherboard, then save up, for a special Crossfire X800XT PE, then you have 2 X800XT PE'S working on the same board which = thrashes DUAL 6800GT'S (SLI) as crossfire will almost defenitly be better.

urb1972 likes this.
  15. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I take it Crossfire is ATI's answer to Nvidia's SLI then?

cheers for that, I think it's something that I'll shelve for now. I think I'll get this PC finished, then I'll start on a new one, rather than selling bits off. As it stands, P4 3.0, more memory and a GeForce 6600. I'm wary about leaving Nvidia for ATI. I just need more convincing...

16. Willz

why not get a GF 6600GT, as they are as cheap as £109, its possible to get them under £100, and its well worth it.

now look at this

XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (PVT43A-NDF7) (GX-024-XF)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600AGP_Series.html

(3rd one down on that page)

its £123, and it comes with 3 games, x2, commandos 3 and nascar thunder 2004.

6600GT ON OVERCLOCKERS.CO.UK:
    Supercharge your gaming with the power of an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GPU. The NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600 GPUs deliver best-in-class performance and advanced visual effects for next-generation games. The only GPU in its class with support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and with support for AGP, the GeForce 6600 delivers ultra-realistic effects, unmatched features, and rock-solid stability so you can play your game the way it’s meant to be played.

- 500MHz Core Clock Speed
    - 128MB DDR3 2.0NS Super Fast Memory running at 1000MHz
    - GeForce 6800 features at midrange prices!
    - Games bundle including Nascar 2004, Commandos 3 and X2 The Threat!!

6600 ON OVERCLOCKERS.CO.UK:
    XFX GeForce 6600 256MB DDR TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (PVT43KUDF7) (GX-043-XF)
    Supercharge your gaming with the power of an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GPU. The NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600 GPUs deliver best-in-class performance and advanced visual effects for next-generation games. The only GPU in its class with support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 , the GeForce 6600 delivers ultra-realistic effects, unmatched features, and rock-solid stability so you can play your game the way it’s meant to be played.

- GeForce 6800 features at midrange prices!
    - Nascar 2004 Thunder full game

£117

6600 SPECS
    Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    Core Clock Speed 300 MHz
    RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
    Video Memory Installed 128 MB
    Technology DDR SDRAM 128-bit
    Memory Clock Speed 275 MHz

urb1972 likes this.
  17. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

(off topic, mods please re-direct to different thread)

cheers willhub, thanks for all the info.

I'm tempted at the price, but aren't bothered about the free games, I'm kind of monogamous when it comes to games, if you know what I mean :ff:

This is it, though. I know I only have a poxy FX5200 at the mo, but it too is 128 granted it may not have the poke of the one you mentioned, but I'd kinda hoped I could have upgraded to the 256 bracket.

But now I'm confused. Are some 128 cards BETTER than some 256. Is it true, in fact, that a s**t-hot PCI graphics card could even beat a poxy AGP card? If so, I really am learning something new everytime I come to these forums (which is great :D )

Cos this one is 256
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nVIDIA-GeForc...807321786QQcategoryZ67864QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

18. Willz

no, a 6600128mb would have practically no performance increase over the same card but in 256mb.

also, look around, for a 6600gt under £100 becouse the 6600gt is alot better than the 6600, and a 6600gt would ladt you longer untill you wanted to upgrade.

also for £100 at ebuyer.co.uk you can get a 6800le graphics card.

and on ebuyer there is a 6600 cheaper than that on ebya.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=84725

but, that one is 128mb :\

*EDIT* ah, i was going to say, post about your graphics card in a different thread, and i will just copy and paste all of my posts into one post.

19. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

Cheers,

think I'll do just that :cool: