Delay of ATI R520 to boost Nvidia 4Q sales

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Jul 2, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

The delay of the ATI Technologies R520 graphics processing unit (GPU) will benefit sales of the Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX (G70), as more PC vendors including Dell and Hewlett-Packard (HP) have decided to adopt the GeForce 7800 series for their high-end PC models slated for release at the end of this year, according to unspecified Taiwan motherboard makers.

ATI is currently revamping the chip design of its R520, said the makers, adding that the company is facing leakage issues, as it attempts to migrates its manufacturing to a 90nm process. The situation is similar to when Nvidia postponed the availability of its 0.13-micron NV30 high-end chip in 2002 due to production issues, the makers pointed out.

Despite the delay of the R520, ATI may launch its mainstream R530 and entry-level RV515 GPUs ahead of schedule, with both parts being manufactured at 90nm, according to sources.

In related news, Nvidia yesterday announced that Acer adopted its GeForce Go 6 series for new TravelMate notebooks. The GeForce Go 6200 GPU with TurboCache technology will be used in the Acer TravelMate 4150 notebook and TravelMate C310 convertible Tablet PC, while the GeForce Go 6600 GPU has been selected for the TravelMate 4650.

Source: DigiTimes

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

well yeah, thats what the High End buyers want, the best, and its the best, but they are too stupid to wait haha

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

oh my god, in about 4 months the ati x800pro and the 9800gt will be low end cards, becouse if you think about it, after ut2k7 has came out, thats like the biggining of a new era, were after ut2k7, most games will be using the unreal engine 3 and the x800pro and 9800gt high end cards wont be able to run those game good, so they will just be low end cards, and the only way up, and to play decent games in the future is to blow like hundreds or £/$ on one of these (sky high-end cards)

4. Addis

Addis The King

No they will be mid range cards (if it comes out at end of next year). Unreal Tournament games have traditionally been praised for being able to run on low spec PCs well. And I can back up that. The X800s and 6800s will be able to handle UT2k7. Of course not on full quality, but they will be able to handle them. By then my card and radeon 9800s will be low range.

5. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

as long as i will be able to run ut2k7 on medium quality with an x800pro/xt or xl then am good :p