Dell Inspiron 1720 no sound...

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by robkellyeire, Feb 15, 2009.

1. robkellyeire

robkellyeire Geek Trainee

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 and the sound is not working. I have Stigmatel High Definition Audio Codec installed. It was working perfectly up to Yesterday. I had my laptop hooked up to the tv and sound was fine until I disconnected it from the tv. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but that did not work, when I go in to sound it says everything is working fine, but even when I have volume up full, there is absolutely no sound. Can anyone help me with this problem??

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

A Common oversight with volume settings is that in the advanced view 'mixer volume' or 'wave volume' is down low, is this the case with you?

Do you have the correct output default device selected?

If you plug headphones in do they work?

3. robkellyeire

robkellyeire Geek Trainee

Hi I have checked the mixer settings and they are all at maximum. How do you check the the correct output default device?? Is this in sounds, because it is saying Simatel Speakers/headphones sigma tel high def.. When I connected the headphones, they are working perfectly.

4. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

In my mind this is one of two possible things -

There is a setting wrong probably between digital & analogue outputs being set as default - check that in control panel - sounds (i could be more specific if you let me know the OS you are using)

Or the headphone socket was damaged when you unplugged the TV setup (i'm assuming you used a 3.5mm to RCA red and white cable? This may be disabling your speakers (like the way it should mute the speakers when you have headphones plugged in - like it is stuck like that all the time)

5. notebooksrus

notebooksrus Guest

If you haven't found a solution you could just simply back up your files and conduct a complete system restore.

6. bernie564

bernie564 Geek Trainee

Well it looks like a Microsoft update screwed up the operation of the driver. My wifes 1545 did this very same problem last night after she removed her headphones. The problem is a strange one. Headphones in, they work. Headphones out, no sound at all. I thought it may be the socket and i tried removing the hardware in System and then rebooting. Exactly the same.

So I went to Dell support and looked at the driver releases. The latest Dell driver (Release date April 1st 2010) fixed the problem instantly!

My advice for anyone experiencing this problem is to go to Dell support and put in your tag number, that brings up all the drivers for your machine. Download the audio driver, install and reboot. That should do it!

No need for system restore this time.

:)

John

Moral to this one: Always try the latest drivers. Windows update messes with your machine!

7. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

Thats true I have had that minor problem only to see the volume is down very low.