Disable keyboard in Bios

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by shawncy, Jul 16, 2005.

1. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

I just upgarded to a usb keyboard, when the pc.boots it won't load and says no keyboard detected. So i would like to try and disable the keyboard option in bios,but Iam not quite sure where in the Bios to look. I looked at all the options in Bios but didn't find anything that directly says keyboard. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Hmm. I've looked at a lot of BIOS's but have never seen an option to disable the PS/2 keyboard. Also, from looking at few other forums on this subject it seems that BIOS support for a USB keyboard is a bit of a joke. The USB ports need Windows drivers to work which you obviously won't have until it's booted so it looks like you'll have to keep your old PS/2 keyboard around for a bit longer. If your BIOS is stopping you from booting then you will need to plug a PS/2 keyboard in anyway until Windows loads the USB drivers. Kind of defeats the purpose I know but that's what all the other forums say as well.

I'm guessing here but the only way around it may be to upgrade your BIOS. There are some computers that expect a USB keyboard and don't even have a PS/2 port so I assume that you can get BIOS's that don't assume you're using a PS/2 keyboard.

Also, it's messy but you could get a USB to PS/2 adapter until it boots. Then, once Windows is loaded, unplug it and use it as a normal USB device. I know your not supposed to unplug PS/2 devices when the computer is running but I do it all the time anyway. :)

3. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

I have found the fix, this is one to be remembered... go into bios,find "halt on", then "all but keyboard" save and exit, Done! :good:

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Well done, good tip.

5. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

You won't find this on many forums.