Does right/left speaker orientation matter?

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Sep 7, 2006.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Okay I don't know which of my speakers is right and left anymore. I can't find anything written on them to enlighten me and I have no idea where the manual is or if I even have it still. I recently moved into a new apt (for the next school year) and that's what prompted the question. I've always had them arranged where the one with the power button and volume control is on the right, and that seems to be generally the rule. But now I just set them up yesterday on my desk and that got me wondering: is that always the case? And does it even matter much if the spots are reversed? And I have no idea what the model of these are; they're quite old and, like I said, I don't have the manual handy. Thanks.

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I dont know if it matters or not but I know the way you can set them correctly...
    Double click on the sound icon and move the balance bar to see which one is which.

Edit: Its always good to have them apart to get the better sound.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

You have speakers with an integrated amp? One speaker is wired into the other?

Karanislove suggested an easy way or sorting your query.

For music it doesnt really matter if you have the left and right set up correctly but films and games are a different matter.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If your just listening to music, it's probably not going to matter much, except when they pan channels or pump something through one channel only and youv'e heard it before.

For gaming and movies, you're much more likely to have issues since positional sound is a big deal.

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hah, Karan, that is a clever and easy solution... I'll try that once I get home.

And btw, I have no idea what an "integrated amp" is but yes, they're wired to each other and the subwoofer. So it's actually a 3-way wiring: a thinner cord connecting the two, and a thick one connecting one of them (the one with the power button and volume control) to the subwoofer.

As far as games/movies ... I thought only surround-sound speakers have "positional sound"? The ones with like 5 speakers or so. I only have 2 plus the sub.

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Amp means Amplifier.

That Subwoofer is integrated with Amp. and sending voice to L/R speakers. Your system is 2.1.

Sub goes in the centre and L/R speaker to L/R side. It is always good to put them in position if you play games or watch Movies on your computer as other members said. Why? Suppose you are playing a game and somebody is coming from the right side then if you speakers are setted correctly then you will notice that voice is only coming from your right speaker. But you wont be able to know properly whether that person on your right back or front. Their 5.1 systems work better.
    There are some softwares available which will help you in making surround sound on your 2.1 set as well. for ex [link=http://www.fxsound.com/]DFX[/link]....This one is demo version, need to buy for full use but there are some free ones availe also....