Dumb question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by archcommus, Feb 4, 2003.

1. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Why can't they cover all IC chips with a plastic layer about half an inch from the IC to prevent damaging of the chip? Is it because they heat can't be locked in like that? But is the heat in the traces between chipsets and stuff really that significant anyway?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's an extra expense to cover a lot of components. They all give off heat to some degree, and covering them would limit where the heat could go.

3. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

I suppose. It just seems like it'd eliminate a lot of the risk of computer building.

4. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

a even dumber question:
    what are IC chips ????

hehe :eek:

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

IC=Integrated Circuit. It's a bunch of logic gates in one packaging.
    I'd explain the logic gates thing, but it's been a few years since I had class with them...and didn't do too well either (hence a reason for switching degrees). They're the basic building block of electronics, I can tell you that. There are different types of gates along with transistors and other components that are used to make CPUs, core logics (aka chipsets), and other chips like that.

They're a fancy switch if you want a short definition.

6. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

ah thx for explaining that :)
    and lol that would cause heat yes :D prob would cause the plastic to melt ;)

and if u take some time to build a pc almost(;)) nothing can go wrong, I had never built a pc b4 this one and when I made this one, everything was so easy(as I expected) :cool: