DVD/RW disc with ghost files.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Question, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Question

Question Geek Trainee

I have a DVD/RW here with 50 mb of space being taken up by ghost files. I tried burning a partitioning program onto it, and i suppose ever since then the files have been there but i cant see them in windows explorer(and i already fiddle with te viewing settings, hidden files, etc). If i select to boot by CD the partitioning program starts up, even after i formatted the disc(which is supposed to erase all data) multiple times. I cant seem to get rid of the ghost files. Any ideas?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

there are 2 ways to format a DVD RW
    the best way to explain this is:

"quick" - this method doesn't actually remove the data it just removes the TOC (Table Of Contents) and you can no longer access the data on the disc

"full" - you need to do a full format a new RW disc & also sometimes the "quick" way doesn't work,

i think this is what has happen to you,

so, under those circumstances you would need the "full" format the disc, although i use Linux and can't remember how to "full" format a DVD, sorry i cant be more help

3. Question

Question Geek Trainee

Im using Vista Home Premium and im formatting it in windows explorer by right clicking and selecting the format option. I did notice a quick format option, but it was greyed out and i assume i was doing a full format...