Experiment in upgrading laptop LCD.

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by wompshmack, Mar 12, 2014.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Hi everyone, I haven't been here in a few years, and I've got a pretty unusual situation. Now, I know most of the time when people talk about upgrading laptop screens the common response is don't try it. I'm trying it. So please don't respond if you're just going to tell me not to try this.

So the laptop I'm starting with is a Gateway NV55s05u.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Gateway-NV55S05u.60577.0.html
    The built in screen is 1366x768, which I find to be too low.

I've got an ASUS screen, which is 1920x1080, which I want to put into this laptop.
    I'm sure the GPU, or APU, as it is, is capable of that resolution, because I can run an external monitor at 1920x1080. I've read the pinouts of both screens, and they're mostly the same. The differences seem to be with the dummy connections in the original video cable. The video cable that came with the asus screen has a different connector on the motherboard side. So what I'd like to do is get a video cable with the proper connection type for my motherboard, but with no dummy connections. I'm thinking something like this might exist from a later model gateway. If necessary I'm willing to try and solder my own.

So my question is... Does someone know of a database for cables where this sort of thing can be referenced? Does anyone who has attempted something like this have some useful insight?

Thanks in advance!