F U Microsoft and your VOLUME CONTROL! (Fasha & Linux battle/rant)

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Swansen, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol... on a side note, man, looking through old posts is a good time, and off off topic, for some really weird reason, i was sure AT was all about GNOME ...?? yeah i dunno, but Mega... or was.. before he went over to the darkside :( i pray for you every night, just so you know :chk:

ANYWAYS!
    so i was jamming at work, (by myself, because i usually work by myself, because i am sole employee/manager/VP/all else) Anyways, good music really helps my production like no other, and some people rolled up, so i went to turn down the music... and i waited.. and i was like SHIT NO, NO SHIT, NO WAIT, NO STOP, SSSHHHH.... and then the door opened, and like time stopped (i wasn't listen to anything vulgar, but most older people would probably find it offensive (history of mercia by memphis may fire)) so in the time continuum i was in, a miracle happened and i unplugged the speakers.... Then like two volume control boxes popped up... I would instal Linux here at the shop, but there are NO quality, or production level line art/vector art suites or software available... :( so i have to deal with Windows killing itself over time, and i'm not even trying to re-install everything, and have to back all our information... that would be like a weekend that i don't even have right now... so WHAT THE F MICROSOFT, WHEN YOU WERE ALL SITTING AROUND, AND DECIDING YOUR OS WOULD SLOWLY DECAY, YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD PREVENTATIVE MEASUREs FOR THE VOLUME CONTROLS!

OOOOOOOOOOOOO! so kayaking off again, i finally got my dad to use Linux, and i was really worried to because he was all set up for a minute there to have Apple invade his house when he wanted to install a Mac OS on a machine of his. Seriously, it took so much just to get him to realize that GUI linux existed... and useable GUI linux, but he installed Ubuntu... and i'm not about to get into wars about Ubuntu with the family come holidays... so i'm going to just install Mandriva, because i like it, and its like Windows, so its a good transition, and i like it, and it has a large repository, and i won't have to configure anything, AND I WILL WIN. (thought about Fedora, but their KDE implementation still isn't that great, i like openSUSE 11..... but i don't like what Novel is doing.... PCLinuxOS is a good time... but for whatever reason, its always given me troubles, Debby is sweet, but i don't want my dad calling me every five minutes, that and its a little to much to fast, and man am i really kayaking here...) Oh yeah, i'm sure he found Ubundumb by searching "Linux" on google and it was like the first thing to come up, and then that was the end... its a shame. OK, i'll stop now, i'll report back on how the battle goes tonight.... i should also probably append the title now to.. done

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hehe, I got my dad to switch to Linux finally, but he's a die-hard Ubuntu user despite all its troubles and sloppy packaging. His media center runs Debian and never has any problems (take a wild guess who set it up for him), but he's afraid of anything non-Ubuntu for some reason. Oh well, one day he'll get brave and be like "why didn't I do this earlier?"

About the Windows thing... why not just run Linux, then run Windows in VirtualBox in seamless mode? You can launch Windows apps in parallel with Linux ones, without dealing with all the stupid Windows limitations. Also, even 32-bit Linux can support up to 64GB of RAM (limited only by your hardware), so you can add as much cheap memory as you want to offset virtualizing Windows. My desktop at work runs Debian Lenny with an Xfce desktop. I don't need Windows for anything, but if I did, I'd be running it in VirtualBox. It even has OpenGL support now, which is pretty cool.

Now indulge me a little Windows rant of my own. Today I was working with a co-worker who had some network problems (an intelligent engineer actually -- if you're reading this, forgive me for writing about you Alex!). He suspected it was our new gigabit LAN at the office, but the LAN segment is all layer-2, simple stuff, with brand new structure wiring that was all Fluke tested . He was running Vista64, so I naturally assumed the OS was the problem. I booted Sidux on his hardware, and all the network problems went away. Additionally, the network latency improved by a margin of 50-60%. I HATE WINDOWS. How much simpler would everything be if that wretched OS didn't exist?

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Windows is indeed a real pain, especially when used in a network environment. I used to set up a few servers running Windows Server 2003. One as a web server and the other one as a file server and WSUS server (for update distribution through the network). The performance was acceptable in the beginning, but started to slow down over time. This even while we've scheduled regular cleanups and defragmentations outside working hours. And at the moment when the WSUS software started to download the latest updates, it took the entire CPU for itself. So therefore having time-outs when accessing files through the network. We've switched to Debian on all servers and on all clients, and it then started to work properly.

So Linux is really nice to use in a company. Just need to configure it once, and it works fine for the coming years (unless a hardware failure occurs).

I hate Windows and other MS products so much, that I'm using a stress ball (to sqeeze when you start feeling stress) when using these products.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yeah, so i informed my dad of the faults of Ubuntu, gave him a Mandriva DVD, all set to go. I like Mandriva because it is Windows like in turn its simpler for people who've used Windows products all their lives to up and use. That and their graphical control center is pretty sweet, not much room for argument there. Hey said he was going to dual boot Ubuntu and Mandriva, oh yeah, and diskdrake is pretty cool also.

5. Anti-Trend

I wish I could go back and purge all my glowing Mandrake comments. Then it made sense as a distro. Now the community has disbursed, leaving it as a floundering commercial European distro with an uncertain future and almost no grass roots support. Mandrake's graphical tools were cool, but there's no substitute for knowing how to do something the proper, standard way. You might consider checking out some other distros; I don't see much of a future for Mandriva now.

6. Anti-Trend

I just worked on migrating a Windows build system from dedicated hardware to a DomU on a Xen host. So, apparently if you have Windows Media Player 11 installed, you cannot run Microsoft's own sysprep on a Windows installation in order to port it to new hardware. If you do, Microsoft recommends you go back in time and uninstall WMP11 before running sysprep. In the unlikely event that you don't have access to a mechanism of time travel, they recommend you reinstall in parallel an exact copy of the broken one(!!), patch it, tweak some registry files, and copy the fixed files over to the broken one. Isn't DRM wonderful?

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

no, i know, i'm looking around right now and trying to find something i like, because i think at some point Mandriva will shut down. But hey, that might even be a good thing, the community support might come back.... but their huge repositories would be lost more than likely.