Fast-Write problems

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by ProcalX, Feb 11, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

with a new mobo, with fast-write capabilities i was told that enabling this would considerably increase my graphical performance.

however when i go into my bios: Fast-Write is "Enabled"

i exit and save changes

then when i come into windows and goto my graphics properties under SmartGart or whatever it clearly states that it has not been turned on. so i click "reset all" and it changes from on to off, but informs me that if i wish for the changes to take effect i must restart the machine, so i do and then when i come back into windows its gone back to "off" again.

my graphics card has the capability its a: 9200se 128mb my mobo: m848alu

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It increases performance a little bit, and the only way you'll be able to tell is through a benchmark. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Big B's right, AGP Fastwrite only improves performance about 5% (10% in a few older cards). I've had problems with ATI's drivers not enabling fastwrite as well. Part of the problem for you could be your northbridge drivers, so make sure they're current (SiS drivers, in your case). The way I remedied it is by using Omegadrive drivers. For some reason, on my system Fastwrite only works with the modded drivers.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

yeh i've been told by alot of people that it can actually make your system slightly unstable?

ive just reinstalled the omegadrivers, fastwrite is now working, i get about 5 - 15fps better in 3dmark01 :)

6878 points in 3dmark01 on my media machine (1.3 duron)

would i get better with a better processor ?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes, but you're ultimately capped by the video card you have. I'd save my money for something else.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I don't know about that. From what I've seen, either it works or it doesn't. If you're not having regular lockups, just leave it on. If it is causing non-random crashes, you can live with a 5% decrease in performance, right? :)