Fax + Modem Connection

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Temporal, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Alright, I was wondering how I am gonna stick this fax machine in the phone jack in the wall when my dial-up modem is useing it... Do I plug the fax into the wall when i wanna use it? Or do I plug the fax into the modem? I'm sure it's a really simple, heh, I just can;t think right now... So yeah how am I gonna hook this up?
    ~Temporal~

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Obviously you can't use both at the same time if you only have one line. But, to save the hassle of having to unplug your modem every time you want to fax (and vise-versa), you can use a Y-Splitter to turn your wall jack into two. Or, you can plug the phone line from the wall into the "Line" port on the modem and the fax into the "phone" port of the modem. Then at least they will both be physically connected to your phone line, even if you can't use them simultaneously.

3. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Heh, yeah that works... I don;t think it will be completely neccessary to use both at the same time... Thanks
    ~Temporal~

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Sure, no sweat

5. mattdinky

mattdinky Geek Trainee