Few questions

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by marineteen1000, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Addis

Addis The King

AOL can't be a nice easy simple ISP thats fast. They have to be different and awkward. If you want to change I suggest Blueyonder, or one of the smaller ISPs which can be just as good.

2. marineteen1000

marineteen1000 Geek Trainee

i cannot chnage icp

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Just make sure you are touching the metal frame in your chassis while you are handling the card. Additionally, handle the card by the edge of the fibreglass board, and never touch the copper pins. This however, is the easy part. If you're going to share Internet over a wireless connection through a Windows machine, you've got quite a bit of work ahead yet. :( Your grandpa's system is going to need a wireless card, also.

4. marineteen1000

Hi
    Ok thanks all for helping but im going to go with A wireless access point
    a wireless usb network apdapter
    and a wireless usb adapter as they told me to go for as my grandad will not let me take the back of his computer off.SO this is my only option my question now is how do i get round the aol prob .
    thanks

5. marineteen1000

anyone got any ideas of how i gets round that aol prob.
    thanks

6. Addis

Addis The King

Sorry but not used to AOL so I don't have any experience. There may be some people on the net who've managed to do it.

7. marineteen1000

Can anyone help

8. marineteen1000

Hi
    I dont think any one can really find a way around my prob with aol so i have an idea.I got told that i can share internet with my grandad with bluetooth but it would not be as good because its not really for that.So if i could share the internet with bluetooth could i just get 2 bluettoth usb apapters and put one in my grandads pc and 1 in mine to share the internet.
    thanks
    p.s.
    if not does anyone else have any ideas to share the internet with aol,

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Techinically it should just work when you plug the stuff in and run the settings wizard.

That's what netgear told me....

They lie.

Who know's, you may get lucky.

10. Addis

Addis The King

I was once ripped off. Someone at school *cough* 01bolandn sold me a netgear network card for £20! I realised how much it was normally and died.

11. marineteen1000

Hi
    so all i would need is them 2 bluetoth things to share the internet connection withour changing the modem so aol would not cut me off right?
    is their any bad sides to doing it this way?
    thanks

12. marineteen1000

just thought of something whilst looking for a bluetooth adapter and got soe questions about them.
    1. can i get them to share a broadband internet connection and also the 2 computer are roughly 5o meters apart i dont evn think its taht i'll measure the diff and post tomoz.
    thanks

13. marineteen1000

Hi all
    does anyone have any input on this would thgis work if not any other ideas how to get round my aol prob.
    thanks
    marineteen1000

14. marineteen1000

15. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I know bluetooth is slow. I don't know if there are many adapters that will go 50 meters either. You should probably gear towards wireless networking for speed and reliability, be sure to have a router, hub, or switch in between the two to ensure a good connection.

I don't know how your gonna pull this off, I had AOL from 2.0 to 8.0 That's quite some time eh? All I know about AOL is, they're fine for one easy connection, bit I hear shaing a connection is damn near impossible. They're tricksy, might wanna call someone from AOL and get help from them, or advice...You'll need it. Good luck!