file share win 95/xp

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by zeus, Oct 4, 2004.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

Hi,
    Its been a while since ive been here.... its good to see the site is becoming much more popular.

Ive got a query with a network im trying to set up.I say network, all I want to do is share files and print.

Ive got no networking experiance whatsoever.... but it cant be that difficult.

Here's what ive got
    Pentium 120mhz w/24mb RAM and Win 95
    (hey dont laugh, without this little gem and office pro id have failed this years college work!)
    And my office comp, AMD2000, loads of ram and Win xp pro.

Ive managed to get them to see each other over an IRDA connection but I cant share files. Ive not tried printing.
    On the win 95 laptop I just get the two flashing icons confirming a connection. No options to share files or anything. No file sharing program (if they exist)
    On the Win XP pc I can right click the icons and have the option to share files. If I follow the options it just freezes. This is isnt a software error, I haven't selected a place for the files to go to on the laptop or anything. I haven't got a network places icon on the win 95 desktop either.

So I ran the XP network wizard, at the I was asked to create a floppy disk and to install the floppy disk files onto all the computers which are to be on the network. So I did but it didnt work because the files put on the floppy are not for win 95. Only 98, me, 2000 and xp.

So is there a way to share files between 95 and xp. Ive read something about using netbui on both comps.... I know how to install that networking stuff but dont really know what it is so I haven't tried.

I hope someone can help.... ive got a 17mb report I need to print and I dont want to put it all on floppies!

Many Thanks for any help
    Rik

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Im getting somewhere now.
    The windows support pages told me what protocols, clients and services I should install on the two comps.

Ive installed them but then what do you do?

I cant use xp's networking wizard because its not for '95.
    Ive ran the DCC program in win 95 but it isnt in xp. So I ran the file and settings transfer wizard in xp copied the program onto a floppy, ran it on the laptop but it wont let me choose the com port my laptops ir is running through.
    In network connections the incomming connections just says 'no clients connected'

Is there a manual way to create a network, because these wizards just make it confusing!

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

OK, the wizards are pretty stupid, so I'd ignore that route altogether. On the XP machine, you should add a user group called "Network" or something similar. Then, add a new user account (which will be used for your '95 machine), and remove that user from any normal groups it might belong to (i.e. "Users", "Administrators"). Then make it a member of the "Network" group, or whatever you chose to call it. Next, create a folder which will contain the files you will be sharing. Share the folder to only the group "Network" (or whatever you chose to call your new group). That should do it, since it's better to share only on the XP machine rather than on both. You can always add files to the shared folder from the '95 machine. But since '95 is no longer supported by MS, there are no more security updates, and turning on the file & print sharing service on that machine would be unwise.

-AT

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Im still battling it out with this IRDA thing.

I have a laptop with Win98se and a PC with WinXP pro.

I want to share files from the XP comp to the 98SE comp over infrared.

Ive not done any of the networking stuff this time, just installed the drivers for the IR 'eyes'. The two comp can connect to each other and if I use 'Infrared Recipient' in Win98 I can easily send files to WinXP. But if I use the similar method in XP it says the data is invalid and cant be sent. Its annoying because I need to transfer from XP to 98.

Does anyone know how it is possible? Im about to start looking for a third party program that might do it.

5. Anti-Trend

The solution is simpler than you might think. Just place the files to be transferred from the XP machine in a folder on the 98 machine, and receive it from the 98 box.

6. zeus

zeus out of date

"Just place the files to be transferred from the XP machine in a folder on the 98 machine, and receive it from the 98 box."

Im sorry, I dont understand what you mean by this. How do you get them to the 98 machine?

7. Anti-Trend

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see this one buried in my email! :swt: Anyway, you said earlier that you could transfer files via the '98 machine, but you couldn't from the XP machine. I was simply suggesting that you not only upload from the '98 box, but download as well.