File Sharing Isn't (Sharing)

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by honeymonster, Feb 11, 2005.

1. honeymonster

honeymonster Geek Trainee

I'm having a problem getting file sharing to work and hope someone can give some suggestions.

Scenario:
    I have a Windows 98 (not SE) which has some files in a folder which I want to allow my wirless laptop (running XP Home) to gain access to. The 98 is connected wired to a Netgear wireless router, and laptop can wirelessely connect fine.

On both machines I have made sure have the same workgroup name, and different machine names, and have enabled file sharing on the 98 machine. When I try to map the network drive on the laptop it sees the 98 machine but nothing within it, even after I've set up a shared folder.

If I try to ping, it succeeds to the Default Gateway (192.168.0.1 which both machines share) but won't ping to the IP address of the 98 PC (which is 192.168.0.3).

I use ZoneAlarm on both PC's. On the 98 it allows 192.168.0.0 to 255.255.255.0, and on the XP it allows 192.168.0.2 to 255.255.255.0. These seem to have appeared automatically

Any ideas appreciated.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Have you tried letting the OSes use automatic IP configurations?

The other thing I can think of is to make sure that they both have the same networking protocols installed. You need to have TCP/IP installed, but it should already be there by default, as well as Microsoft's Windows Client protocol (or whatever it's called---I didn't pay much attention to it).