First part for new computer

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Fred, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Fred

Fred Moderator

Well, the time has come... I have decided to build a new computer. The only catch is I am building it piece by piece so I can actually afford to do it and having each part will motivate me to finish it.. So, the first part I want to get is the chassis. Basically, I want it to be fairly spacious, simple, and functional. And i dont really like the door in front of the cdrom bays, but I am willing to deal with it if the rest of the case is fine. I dont need anything flashy at all, but i would like if it didn't look stupid... So the ones that I've found so far that I were interested in are:
    Newegg.com - CHENMING 601AW-F-0 Beige Computer Case - Retail
    Newegg.com - CHENMING CMUI-601AECB-U Charcoal Black Computer Case - Retail

Oh, and I should mention that I do my shopping on newegg.com I would consider getting a part somewhere else, but it would have to be for a very good reason... And a few more things I should mention
    1. Price =< $100 USD
    2. Right now I am just looking for the chassis. I will find prices on the rest of my future computer at another time.
    3. Thank you for taking the time to help me find parts

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what about this case, although it doesn't state the PSU manufacturer (i can't see it) also i think this case looks a lot better[ot]but opinions differ[/ot]

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

Thank you for the suggestion. Honestly, though, I think the case may be too flashy for my blood. I put it in my bookmarks though, because it is still a decent case and is a possibility. About the PSU, I dont care at all what PSU's come with any cases people suggest, because I am already planning on getting a PSU (so far this one. Though, this is not the topic for today). Once again, thank you.. I will put this one up against any others people suggest. :)

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well that PSU kick ass[ot]you won't need to upgrade PSU for a while, depending on the spec you choose[/ot]

5. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Antec makes a mean looking and functional basic case. You might want to have a look.

6. Fred

Fred Moderator

Thanks pelvis, I will have a look when i wake up (it's 3:05am here and I'm beginning to watch Lady in the Water) If I find a decent looking one, I'll throw a link up here and see if you guys back my opinion on the chassis up.

[ot]
    Thanks, I really want a reliable PSU and it'd be nice to not have to upgrade should some amazing video card come out that I want to run
    [/ot]

7. AaManiac

AaManiac Geek Trainee

I have an antec case... and I absolutely love it....

4 Fans; 2 in front, 1 in back and one on top,Clear side window, and a slide out mobo tray made this Case a dream to have,

Many thanks to you Big B for the reccomendation of this case.

-Maniac

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That black case...that's what my main box is in. Now, I do have the version that comes with a full window on the case side and modded the bay door, but that's a nice case to work with. It's not beastly, but it's still pretty roomy. It's what Antec was rebadging as their SX1030/1040 cases a few years back, just without the Antec name on it.

9. Fred

Fred Moderator

Ok, I have had a chance to look at some more cases on newegg this morning and I came up with a few... my problem with all three is that they are ATX mid towers. One of these, i have personally worked with in the past, but I dont remember if it would be big enough to fit the size motherboard and video card that I am going to be putting in it. I am asking for your advice on which one to choose (if any)... so what do you guys think?
    1: Newegg.com - CHENMING 501AWBU-F-0 BLK Black Computer Case - Retail
    This is the case that I've worked with several times in the past. It is really nice and solid, and the stock fan cools well and and stays quiet. Like I said, the problem is that I can't remember exactly how big it is...
    2: Newegg.com - Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Computer Case - Retail
    This one is a bit pricey, but it says the bay door is removable. It has some great reviews, but once again... my concern is whether it is big enough or not
    3: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail
    This one is the most in price, and it looks like a decent case, but once again I'm concerned by size... that and the external design of the case is weird

Or do you guys think I have a better option than any of the three?