Floppy disk is crazy

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Cruzado_Mainfrm, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Cruzado_Mainfrm

Cruzado_Mainfrm Geek Trainee

well, i'll start by addressing the problem:
    -the floppy drive acts like if it doesn't have any disk inside
    -the green light it has is ALWAYS on, from when the comp is ON until it's OFF

a little intro to my stuff:
    motherboard: Gigabyte Pentium 4 Titan 533 Series GA-8SR533
    http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-8SR533.htm

and the floppy is:
    Sony, Model MPF920-Z

the floppy didn't work when it came with the pc, one day i made it work, but then the problem started again

what can i do??

EDIT: it doesn't work in any OS, by that i mean that it doesn't work in DOS, neither in the booting sequence

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Make sure the floppy cable is installed correctly. It just sounds like you have it flipped around at one end, probably the one connected to the drive itself.

3. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Who uses floppy drives anyways? I mean why don;t you just get a burner or something? That would fix your problem, heh.
    ~Temporal~

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

a floppy is great to flash bioses because you can easily create bootdisks with it, whereas you need a bootable floppy to creat a bootable cd.

I also vote for the cable in the wrong way.

The red stripe has to be on the first pin of the drive AND the board, which not necessarily right besides the mini-molex connector, unlike hdds. Also, there's a side of the cable where it is crossed over, that part goes into the drive, not the board.

5. Cruzado_Mainfrm

Cruzado_Mainfrm Geek Trainee

yep, indeed the cables where inserted the wrong way, thnx u guys r the best :D

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

no problem :), I'm glad you fixed it

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

OT: but with programs that can flash the BIOS from Windows these days, the only reason other than that to have one is for an unsupported IDE/SATA or SCSI controller during Win2k/XP or Linux install. There are methods to get around this, but you'd need to make your own custom Windows CD or linux distro to do that or have an unattended/network install that grabs resources from another place.