Floppy not working ... sort of

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by mjdeez, Feb 25, 2004.

1. mjdeez

mjdeez Geek Trainee

I bought a Samsung floppy drive from NewEgg (rocks!) and it didn't seem to work on my new PC. I tried it on my old PC and it works fine. So, suspecting that it's my floppy controller on my new PC (Asus p4g800-v) I swapped my old floppy from my old machine into the new one. It worked.

I know I can just keep the old drive in the new machine, but I was kind of curious to know what may be wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hey Mike. There's a few things that could be wrong. First of all, is the floppy's activity light on constantly when you plug it in? If so, the floppy cable could be installed upside-down. If the the light remains off and the drive simply does not work, it me be the wrong cable for that floppy drive. There are some subtle differences between floppy cables, and even though a cable might seem to fit right, it could prevent a perfectly good floppy drive from working. Did your motherboard come with any floppy cables? If so, try that one. If not, you might want to snag one from an old system or a friend, etc.