folders with extensions

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by edijs, Aug 25, 2010.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

Consider the following situation.

I have a folder named CoolFolder. If I needed a folder with the same name, but wanted to keep the previous, I can rename it to, let's say CoolFolder.off;
    I then create a new folder called CoolFolder, do whatever I have to and delete that new folder. Now, I rename CoolFolder.old to simply CoolFolder and the weird thing is that if I open a file from this remaining CoolFolder, then the path says that it is in a folder called CoolFolder.old and I can in fact add another CoolFolder - it seems as though I delete the previously added extension, but that's only visual - effectively, it keeps the extension. That's odd.

Has anyone seen anything like this,too?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

If you right-click on the folder and choose 'Get Info'. What name does it show there? If the extension is hidden, you can modify it from there.

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

I found that by default all extensions are being hidden. Since a folder has no extension, and I add one, it automatically becomes the extension of that folder and is hidden by the system. Hence, anything I add/remove later is simply considered to be a part of the filename.

The solution was to go to the Finder options and tick the Show all extensions or something checkbox.