found new hardware can't install IDE channel

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by fokeyjoe, Nov 1, 2010.

1. fokeyjoe

fokeyjoe Geek Trainee

Hiya,

I changed mobos from an abit AN9-32X to an Asus M4A88TD, I'm running winxp32. Everything is working fine, but it keeps on running [on startup] the found new hardware wizard for the "IDE channel" hardware, and prompts me 6 times with the message "Driver is not intended for this platform". The 6 times corresponds to the number of references to IDE channel in my Device Manager (there are 3 "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" devices as well). My machine boots off the IDE drive (no raid), and it's accessible. I've tried deleting these devices, but they keep coming back. I have a suspicion there's an old IDE driver kicking about, the Abit was nforce-based, and used to have a custom IDE driver. Maybe it's not removed, but I have no idea how to remove it, it's not in add/remove programs. If I try to do "update driver", it copies atapi.sys from somewhere, but produces the same message. Any ideas on how to proceed, or how to replace atapi.sys if that's somehow been affected? Or maybe I misunderstand something about the board and new ide/sata/raid configs.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

did you get a motherboard drivers disk with this new motherboard ??? Also did you do a FRESH install of your OS ??

3. fokeyjoe

fokeyjoe Geek Trainee

Yes, I installed the chipset drivers from the motherboard disk. Then I got the latest drivers from the net and tried them. There is no explicit IDE driver.

I haven't done a FRESH install of my O/S.. I haven't needed to for the past few motherboard replacements (this O/S has had an AN7 and a KSRock board in). It's not normally necessary to reinstall, even when it is winxp. Surprisingly winxp is still quite responsive and works well after all this time. So please don't ask me to reinstall, I'm posting on this board to avoid needing to.

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Lets get one thing out of the way first: updates.
    Get Device Doctor. Its 100% free.

Trust me, you want to get it. I thought i had my whole system up to date until i used this fine piece of software. It recently found 3 updates to my JMicron controller and 2 other updates. All it takes is one click to scan.

5. fokeyjoe

fokeyjoe Geek Trainee

Hi.. Tried out device doctor - handy little tool. It suggested 2 drivers for the IDE channels and Primary IDE's, being some Intel IDE drivers and the ATI RS880 chipset drivers respectively. Installed each one in turn but hasn't fixed the issue. I also did a bit of cleaning out old drivers using the technique here. Now it does call a couple of the IDE channel devices "hdc" now, and there's only 4 not installed, instead of 6 before. I wouldn't quite call it progress ;)