Fps Drop and Sound Loss

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Punzz, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Punzz

Punzz Geek Trainee

hey just Fitted brothers pc
    - New ASUS mboard A7V8X-x
    - 512 Corsair RAM 400mhz 3200
    - AMD 3000+ XP

Rest of the stuff in pc
    350w powerpack
    Gf4ti4200 128mb
    1 dvd 1 cdrw
    1 80gig hd
    1 20gig hd master
    1 SMC network card
    1 aureal vortex 2 soundcard

took me awhile getting it working because of windows problems (virtual memory errors so had to format) but when i did after about an hour or maybe even 10minutes on a game fps drops and sound disappears...someone said this is overheating but this pc temp is fine AND my brother had this problem on a previous mboard. The time before drops in the game seems to be in relation how much pc power the game needs to run (e.g halflife fine for an hour where as call of duty kills pc within 10minutes)

he has all latest drivers that i can think of ..graphics sound directx mboard 4v1 etc etc

the chipset had a lot of onboard stuff like video, sound, network but i'm pretty sure its all disabled in bios
    there was a onboard 64memory thing which i didnt know what it was but i think thats disabled...scared to re-enable stuff on bios cause xp seems to not boot up when u change anything hence the formatting

oh btw should the 3.0 be running at 2.1 or higher?

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

2.1 ghz is good for the cpu.

I would load the bios defaults (after that make sure the sound and video are disabled - the aureal vortex 2 is an external sound card right ? if not, do not disable the onboard sound)

The 64mb you don't understand can either be the agp aperture size (which should be set at half your video card memory, so 64mb in your case) or the shared memory, for when the onboard video is used. Because when it is, a certain amount of your RAM acts as video ram, and that's where you set it.

If it works, then start enabling options one by one and see which one causes the problem.

Regardless, you should go to www.memtest86.com and download memtest. That tests the memory, if you get errors, then you should replace the memory.

Another good guess would be the temps. What are they ?

You can also use different video drivers and see if the problems persist.

If they do, strip the system down to its bare minimum and if it works, then it means the psu isn't providing enough power. Add one component at a time and see where it fails.

If it still doesn't work, we'll try to find some other solution.