Games on Linux....is it possible?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by ninja fetus, Jun 20, 2004.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Mkay! Sorry if this is a lame noobie post but i just dont have much time to search for a solution. I'm running Fedora Core2 and i just want to know if playing counterstrike is possible. I downloaded steam but its an executable and it really isnt recognized. im sort of clueless on what to do. is it even possible?!

and another note: what is a good browser for linux that plays audio that is automatically played over a webpage such as : http://jobs.ytmnd.com/

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unreal Tournament 2003, Q(uake) 3...those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Last I check, Half-Life and CS are only available for Linux as a dedicated server.

3. ninja fetus

thanks...depressing....life without a half life mod,...ACK!

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

OK, Half Life 1 (not 2) will run perfectly in Linux using a basic WINE implementation. Since the game has a native OpenGL mode, it's really not hard to get it working very well. There are whole websites dedicated to running HL (and Counterstrike + other mods) on Linux. I've run HL, CS & Sven Coop flawlessly on Linux years back, so with WINE and 3D support for Linux getting better literally every day, you should be able to play HL on Linux famously. ;)

-AT

P.S. - Here's one of the websites dedicated to HL'ing on Linux. :)

5. Anti-Trend

What you need is embedded browser plugins for existing audio players you already have. The two most popular programs used for doing what you're asking are MPlayer and Xine. I use Xine as my browser's media player, because the plugins are more easily available for my distro. However, there are a whole lot of people who swear by MPlayer. Either way you'll do OK. Alternately, if you install the Quicktime browser plugins, it'll also handle embedded sound and video files.

6. Anti-Trend

HL on Linux

This heathen doesn't have FSAA enabled, but you get the idea. Actually, now that I look at it, his FPS is so low he is probably using something as low-end as a TNT2/Rage3D. I wouldn't be using FSAA either. ;)

Attached Files:

7. ninja fetus

! those are better then my fps...
    gracias at

8. Anti-Trend

Update: HL2 probably *will* work on Linux using WineX 4 (now known as "Cedega").

9. Anti-Trend

Moderated: This thread has been split into two different threads due to off-topic content. New thread can be found here. :good:

-AT