Gaming Computer wont start

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chapi, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

First of all these are my computer specs:

AMD Phenom II x6
    nVidea gtx 550 tl 1gb ddr5 memory
    8gb ram ddr3 (2 cards of 4gb Kingston)
    MSI Motherboard NF725GM -P43

Well, yesterday I was using photoshop cs6 extended while doing a simple 3 character 3d text with basic light and no reflections, something really basic. I had photoshop settings to use 100% of the video memory and to max quality. I left the rendering on for about 5 minutes and while I had firefox over photoshop the computer simply shat down and it wont start after that.

I tried starting it with only 1 of the RAM cards (tried with both) or without neither of them, used another power cable and tried turning it on without anything more than the power cable connected to it and still nothing.

The only thing that happens when I press the power button, the CPU and video fans move a little and stop, also the mouse laser flashes for a second.

Also after it shat down I immediately opened it to check the temperature and only the CPU was a bit too hot but nothing compared to when I open a game, video goes to like 70C and cpu to 50C.

Anyone has any idea what the problem could be?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Try another Power supply to see if that is your Problem, Make sure you buy a well made / BRAND NAME one... If that doesn't work , It could be the Motherboard got fried..

Chapi likes this.
  3. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

Yeah, I hope it's the power supply, but I don't know if I could have broken the power supply by just using way too much RAM and video memory. Also, the power supply fan wasn't throwing much heat this time, not even working at full speed, it usually gets way hotter using games..

Is there a way I can check what the problem is before I buy a new power supply or motherboard?

Thanks for the reply by the way :p, helps alot.

4. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

My power supply is a ATX-400pn RoHs 300W max
    http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/ATX-400PN.pdf

That one on the link is 400W and different fan tho but it's same model..

Also, computer is no more than a year old.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Pull the power supply out and set it on a counter top, get a paper clip and stick in the green wire and one of the black wires... Then see if the power supply come on...
    If it doesn't, then you need a Power supply.. If it does, then it Might be your Motherboard..

Chapi likes this.
  6. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

Ok, I'm not very experienced on hardware so I'll wait for my brother to do it and see what happens, thanks for the help again :p.

7. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

What PSU would you recommend me? And what brand and how many Watts I would need for my specs? About 400?

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Either a Corsair/Antec or OZC is good... Just make sure it has an 80 % rating... 500 to 600 watts..

Chapi likes this.
  9. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

I got a new PSU of 650watts and still nothing... It won't start... What should I do now? :S

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Does anything light up, Or does any of the inside fans turn at startup ? If not, might be your Motherboard..

11. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

CPU and video card fans "try" to start, they move for half a second and stop, they dont even make it to do a full turn. Front lights and mouse laser blink for a second. The new PSU does a sound like it's starting but it stops immeditely.

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like the Motherboard burned out..

13. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

Something odd happened, on Friday I gave my computer to the guy who I bought the parts from so he can check the hardware and find me a replace, tired of using the laptop I connected a all in one dell that I haven't used since I moved to this house about a month ago, everything was doing great, I used it all Saturday and turned it off for the night, this morning when I tried to turn it on, it powered up but the screen stays black, the power light is on, the wireless mouse detects that the computer is on and my usb modem turn on too, but the screen is just black for no reason (not software for sure). Could it be that theres something wrong with the house electric system that it could have had anything to do with the 2 computers broken in the last week...?

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Are you using a Surge Protector ? If not then You better get one.. Try a different plugin..

15. Chapi

Chapi Geek Trainee

Yeah I am using a surge protector.

16. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleast Geek Trainee

Sounds like MoBo for me too. Have your tried hard resetting your computer. Take out everything (memory sticks, GPU, PSU) and then leave it for about 10-15 minutes. Put everything back and reset CMOS.